Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rain sensor problems
07-01-2017, 12:39 PM
Rain sensor problems
I probably have the most troublesome E90, problem after problem.

This time its the rain sensor that will just not cooperate. I had my windscreen replaced recently by some Glasfit guys from Aeroton. After their job, my rain sensor is not sensing the rain. The wipers don't really respond to the rain, they just wipe at some constant speed. Even when the rain stops, the wipers will continue working because the automatic wiper option will be activated.
I think these guys who replaced my windscreen did a shoddy job or they damaged my rain sensor. I think it's safe to blame them because this problem only began when they replaced the windscreen. The new windscreen is called SafeVue, a cheaper version of Shatterprufe.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-01-2017, 01:02 PM
RE: Rain sensor problems
hi, they probably didnt stick the sensor in the correct place, open up the rear view mirror (just pops open) and check it out.

[Image: capture_5561191905.jpg]
07-01-2017, 01:05 PM
Thanks, let me try that.

07-01-2017, 06:19 PM
My Jeep was doing the same thing once the windscreen was replaced. Drove me batty. Today, all of a sudden, it actually recognised the rain and works perfectly now.

Perhaps yours will do the same. I have heard that OEM windscreens on some vehicles, there are no issues, but with aftermarket it can take time to wake up.

2004 330d M Individual - Malachite Green
07-01-2017, 10:45 PM
(07-01-2017 12:39 PM)vamudzengii Wrote:  I probably have the most troublesome E90, problem after problem.

This time its the rain sensor that will just not cooperate. I had my windscreen replaced recently by some Glasfit guys from Aeroton. After their job, my rain sensor is not sensing the rain. The wipers don't really respond to the rain, they just wipe at some constant speed. Even when the rain stops, the wipers will continue working because the automatic wiper option will be activated.
I think these guys who replaced my windscreen did a shoddy job or they damaged my rain sensor. I think it's safe to blame them because this problem only began when they replaced the windscreen. The new windscreen is called SafeVue, a cheaper version of Shatterprufe.

The most likely reason for this is that the installer forgot to install the gel between the sensor and the glass.

Let them remove the mirror and replenish the gel.
08-01-2017, 12:53 PM
It is strange that Glasfit are using after market shields this can be the problem bud, check it out .............
08-01-2017, 07:11 PM
Rain sensor problems
(07-01-2017 10:45 PM)AudiDriver Wrote:  
(07-01-2017 12:39 PM)vamudzengii Wrote:  I probably have the most troublesome E90, problem after problem.

The most likely reason for this is that the installer forgot to install the gel between the sensor and the glass.

Let them remove the mirror and replenish the gel.

Safevue is made by PG Glass. It comes off the same production line as the more expensive Shatterprufe product but has fewer inspection points. It's not a bad product.

I agree with AudiDriver, the problem is most likely poor fitment of the rain sensor. Get Glasfit to rectify their work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
08-01-2017, 07:40 PM
That is why I insist on OEM replacement windscreens from BMW. It comes with the sensor frame fitted so there won't be any issues. Don't let the insurance cheat you on this one, insist on the original windscreens.

10-01-2017, 03:24 PM
The windscreen fitted also needs to be for rain sensor i assume.
10-01-2017, 04:11 PM
(08-01-2017 07:40 PM)Ratslaaf Wrote:  That is why I insist on OEM replacement windscreens from BMW. It comes with the sensor frame fitted so there won't be any issues. Don't let the insurance cheat you on this one, insist on the original windscreens.

Insurers now insist that OE glass is for vehicles in warranty only. Out of warranty vehicles will get Safevue or of some other aftermarket SABS/SANS-approved product.

Many insurers have little tolerance in fitting OE parts to older vehicles. Their policy wording is something like this "The decision on how we compensate you is ours alone. If we decide to repair your vehicle and it is no longer under warranty, we can choose to replace non-safety/critical parts with parts that are not from the same source as those supplied by the original manufacturer of your vehicle, or with used parts which have been reconditioned." Cartel

Still will not hurt to insist on a brand new OE replacement...

10-01-2017, 06:28 PM
I suspect the guy from Aeroton Glasfit picked up on my thread & called me under the guise of following up on an earlier complaint. Feeling bad now bcoz he's actually a good guy.
Turns out my car (2010 E90) is too old to get OE replacement something I don't understand.

10-01-2017, 06:56 PM
Well, they need to sort it out then. And the only way to do that properly is with an OEM windscreen. Don't just accept it...

12-01-2017, 09:11 AM
My front winscreen also has a crack running across.
Insurance company said they can give me a Grandmark for Access of R350.00

I said I want a oem glass and got a price from BMW:R6521.96 less my access of R1300.00 so total that my insurance will have to cough up R5221.96

CURRENT 2011 BMW 320d MPACK - DAMN TARMAC RIPPER
CURRENT 2010 AUDI A6 - SPACE WAGON - 2.0T
Ex 2006 VW JETTA 5 FSI 2.0T BWA DSG
Ex 1993 Jetta 3 Clx - 2l ADY
Ex 1992 Honda Dohc - Screamer Of Note
EX 2008 - E90 - 325i White - Sport Pack
Ex 2000 - Toyota Rxi 20VT
Ex 2007 - Toyota Run X Trd
Ex 1997 - Honda Civic Vtec
Eish thats all i can say
14-01-2017, 05:57 AM (This post was last modified: 14-01-2017 05:59 AM by AudiDriver.)
(12-01-2017 09:11 AM)Twincam Shark Wrote:  My front winscreen also has a crack running across.
Insurance company said they can give me a Grandmark for Access of R350.00

I said I want a oem glass and got a price from BMW:R6521.96 less my access of R1300.00 so total that my insurance will have to cough up R5221.96

This is quite standard.

Last year I replaced the glass on my old Toyota Landcruiser 80 ser. The excess on the shatterprufe was R500 and on he OE windscreen it was R1000. The cost difference was even more inpressive: about R5000 for shatterprufe vs R15000 for OE.

The decision to go with OE did mess up my claims history somewhat.

In 2011 I had a problem aith the rain sensor on an S4 I bought. The windscreen had been replaced by the precious owner. Audi was unable to resolve it and replaced the windscreen in the end with an OE unit. That sorted it out. However when they replaced the unit, the installation company reported that there was no gel behind the sensor on the previous windscreen and that had actually been the root cause of the issue.

This discovery left me quite anal about making sure they replenish the gel. There is in fact an easy way to see if there is gel behind the sensor (seeing a 'bubble' versus seeing no 'bubble') A good installer would know straight away.

Even more annoying than defective rain sensors is that the installers always damage the trim on the A-frames of the newer vehicles with bonded windscreens when they remove the old glass.

User(s) browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)

Return to TopReturn to Content