Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3 Average
2007 E65 730d something on airbag fuse circuit preventing sleep mode
03-11-2015, 12:54 PM
2007 E65 730d something on airbag fuse circuit preventing sleep mode
Hi
New here but learning a lot and hoping for some assistance to avoid a visit to dealer.
Past few years got carried away and have 4 used diesel BMWs. Will need to start selling one or two but not rushing. By way of background, have an 04 330d manual since 07 with 227k km, got it from 90k km, 02 530d auto with 233k km, got it from 2013 from 206k km, 08 520d manual with 124k km, got it from 2013 at 89k km

In a moment of sheer decadence, (wife says madness) I bought a used 2007 E65 730d with 138 000km off Gumtree in Pretoria North for R97 000 in September. Main issue apart from a slight whine in left engine bay (changed water pump, belt, tensioner and idler pulleys but struggling to figure it out, maybe alternator pulley or oil cooler?) is that something on the airbag fuse circuit (fuse 15) is preventing normal sleep shut down cycle.

Basically after a minute the CAS (stop start) button should go off and amp draw should go to around 0.8A. After 17min, the seat lights should go off and draw should drop to 0.4A or so. After 60 to 70 min, the deep sleep cycle should kick in with draw at around 0.02A.

If I pull out fuse 15 for airbag circuit, the above seems to occur as per car spec. With fuse 15 in, basically the draw is around 8A, the Start stop button tries to go off within a minute but comes back on after 10 seconds. This happens continuously every minute or so until the 70min forced shut down by the power module. Therefore it draws 8A for 70min every time the car is locked.

Car does not have Comfort Access but notice right rear soft close is not working. Also notice the steering column adjustment is working intermittently and throws a code.

At moment I have switched the battery to the off or storage position in the trunk and this forces a shutdown after 32 minutes.

Inpa shows no airbag faults. A driver's seat occupancy mat fault (SSFA) showed up in the middle of this period and I coded it out for now with NCS (my first time use of NCS expert). Wonder if it was just coincidence or if I knelt on seat to reach fuses. Also Inpa shows that the driver and passenger seatbelts are read as always latched. Only see one wire from the pre tensioner so assume this was purposely set up to not have seat belt warnings but maybe someone can confirm. Unlike my E60 520d which has two wires from pre tensioner and has the audible and visual seat belt warning.

I am an Internet copycat amateur tinkerer so I think I have reached my limits unless someone can advise what to do next. Was hoping to avoid going to dealer etc.

The previous owner went a little cagey after I tried to get more info from him to solve this. Did manage get a Tracker Retrieve removed but it did not solve it. Not sure if there are other tracking units on. He,his wife and company seem to be the only owners. Phoned a couple other tracking companies and they did not have the car on their records. Anyway, the car has a sleep problem until shut down and not a continuous parasitic drain once the power module forces shut down, so unlikely to be a tracking unit, but then again am open to advice.

Sorry for long story but rather give you all the details once. The previous owner seems to have a normal 100AH battery in there and not the 90 AH AGM BMW spec battery. I fully charged it using an Optimate trickle charger and also registered it with INPA. Inpa shows battery at 14 volts when running.

Any advice and or assistance or contact reference will be much appreciated. Am in Pretoria but willing to go anywhere in Gauteng to solve this. Think it should just be a matter of someone who has wiring diagrams for fuse 15 and is able to unplug stuff on that circuit.

Main persistent Inpa codes are 46D3 DDE internal control unit 4, SIM/SGM 93FC battery lead positive monitoring of shielding (could this be it or is this because I have the battery switched to off). There is the steering column adjuster error SZL 94F5

There are two that I have not figured EMF D3B8 and CIM D996

Thanks in advance.
Ibrahim
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-11-2015, 08:57 PM
RE: 2007 E65 730d something on airbag fuse circuit preventing sleep mode
Hi Ibrahim,

welcome to the forum. Please introduce yourself in the New Members Area.

Looks like you have investigated a fair bit into the problem. Of the fault codes you mentioned, I would say have a look into the "SIM/SGM 93FC battery lead positive monitoring of shielding" as this would suggest that potentially the shielding on the positive lead to the battery is damaged/faulty or there is a related problem. I wouldn't have thought the fault would be generated using the BMW installed switch.

Otherwise get in touch with forum member and sponsor Ratslaaf@OBDWorks he knows his stuff.

[Image: racer-x-designs-rzm6-concept2_529VU_3868.jpg]

Current Cars
BMW E46 330i

Previous Cars
Renault Twingo I
BMW 120d
Toyota MR2
The following 1 user Likes applehero's post:
Sky510
04-11-2015, 07:17 AM
Hi Ibrahim,

That fault is a gremlin and have caused me endless pain to fix in the past. But in a nutshell, this issue is caused by one or modules on the body can bus that does not receive the sleep signal. This can be caused by either an actual bus fault or a faulty module on the bus.

The only way to figure this out is to remove modules off the bus until the car can go into sleep mode. I had an E90 with this issue after it came back from the panelbeaters. It turns out that water got into the dash and that caused corrosion on the internals of the radio.

PMs don’t work, so if I don’t reply I’m not being rude.
04-11-2015, 09:00 AM
(03-11-2015 08:57 PM)applehero Wrote:  Hi Ibrahim,

welcome to the forum. Please introduce yourself in the New Members Area.

Looks like you have investigated a fair bit into the problem. Of the fault codes you mentioned, I would say have a look into the "SIM/SGM 93FC battery lead positive monitoring of shielding" as this would suggest that potentially the shielding on the positive lead to the battery is damaged/faulty or there is a related problem. I wouldn't have thought the fault would be generated using the BMW installed switch.

Otherwise get in touch with forum member and sponsor Ratslaaf@OBDWorks he knows his stuff.

Thanks appleh. Think you might be onto something re the battery positive shielding error. Think previous owner had a bumper bash and this could have affected the Battery Safety Terminal. Will inspect it but am no auto electrician . Any good links on this. Think the E65 BST is same design as other BMW models.

The BST is also monitored by the SIM and satellites hence the problem going away when airbag fuse is pulled.

Thanks for the lead. Any advice on taking it to someone for an affordable fix will be appreciated. Will also ask Ratslaaf@OBDWorks.
04-11-2015, 09:40 PM
(04-11-2015 07:17 AM)Ratslaaf@OBDWorx Wrote:  That fault is a gremlin and have caused me endless pain to fix in the past. But in a nutshell, this issue is caused by one or modules on the body can bus that does not receive the sleep signal. This can be caused by either an actual bus fault or a faulty module on the bus.

It looks like there are around 6 ECUs on the K-Can that have an input for the wake up signal - lots of unplugging!

Current Cars
BMW E46 330i

Previous Cars
Renault Twingo I
BMW 120d
Toyota MR2
08-11-2015, 11:23 PM
(04-11-2015 09:00 AM)Sky510 Wrote:  Thanks appleh. Think you might be onto something re the battery positive shielding error. Think previous owner had a bumper bash and this could have affected the Battery Safety Terminal. Will inspect it but am no auto electrician . Any good links on this. Think the E65 BST is same design as other BMW models.

The BST is also monitored by the SIM and satellites hence the problem going away when airbag fuse is pulled.

Thanks for the lead. Any advice on taking it to someone for an affordable fix will be appreciated. Will also ask Ratslaaf@OBDWorks.

No problem man. Whats the latest? Problem solved, or are we looking for another cause? =)

Current Cars
BMW E46 330i

Previous Cars
Renault Twingo I
BMW 120d
Toyota MR2
10-11-2015, 09:05 AM
(08-11-2015 11:23 PM)applehero Wrote:  
(04-11-2015 09:00 AM)Sky510 Wrote:  Thanks appleh. Think you might be onto something re the battery positive shielding error. Think previous owner had a bumper bash and this could have affected the Battery Safety Terminal. Will inspect it but am no auto electrician . Any good links on this. Think the E65 BST is same design as other BMW models.

No problem man. Whats the latest? Problem solved, or are we looking for another cause? =)

Hi
Have not had much time. Unplugged the BST sensor on positive cable and replugged but no luck. Wonder if I should try and see if car shuts down with BST unplugged. Need to figure out the main SIM modules locations and unplug. Will do that in a week. Anyone around Pretoria or Jhb I can take it to who will do this quick and relatively cheaply.

Regards
07-02-2018, 06:50 PM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2018 06:52 PM by boria_geo.)
(03-11-2015 12:54 PM)Sky510 Wrote:  Hi
New here but learning a lot and hoping for some assistance to avoid a visit to dealer.
Past few years got carried away and have 4 used diesel BMWs. Will need to start selling one or two but not rushing. By way of background, have an 04 330d manual since 07 with 227k km, got it from 90k km, 02 530d auto with 233k km, got it from 2013 from 206k km, 08 520d manual with 124k km, got it from 2013 at 89k km

In a moment of sheer decadence, (wife says madness) I bought a used 2007 E65 730d with 138 000km off Gumtree in Pretoria North for R97 000 in September. Main issue apart from a slight whine in left engine bay (changed water pump, belt, tensioner and idler pulleys but struggling to figure it out, maybe alternator pulley or oil cooler?) is that something on the airbag fuse circuit (fuse 15) is preventing normal sleep shut down cycle.

Basically after a minute the CAS (stop start) button should go off and amp draw should go to around 0.8A. After 17min, the seat lights should go off and draw should drop to 0.4A or so. After 60 to 70 min, the deep sleep cycle should kick in with draw at around 0.02A.

If I pull out fuse 15 for airbag circuit, the above seems to occur as per car spec. With fuse 15 in, basically the draw is around 8A, the Start stop button tries to go off within a minute but comes back on after 10 seconds. This happens continuously every minute or so until the 70min forced shut down by the power module. Therefore it draws 8A for 70min every time the car is locked.

Car does not have Comfort Access but notice right rear soft close is not working. Also notice the steering column adjustment is working intermittently and throws a code.

At moment I have switched the battery to the off or storage position in the trunk and this forces a shutdown after 32 minutes.

Inpa shows no airbag faults. A driver's seat occupancy mat fault (SSFA) showed up in the middle of this period and I coded it out for now with NCS (my first time use of NCS expert). Wonder if it was just coincidence or if I knelt on seat to reach fuses. Also Inpa shows that the driver and passenger seatbelts are read as always latched. Only see one wire from the pre tensioner so assume this was purposely set up to not have seat belt warnings but maybe someone can confirm. Unlike my E60 520d which has two wires from pre tensioner and has the audible and visual seat belt warning.

I am an Internet copycat amateur tinkerer so I think I have reached my limits unless someone can advise what to do next. Was hoping to avoid going to dealer etc.

The previous owner went a little cagey after I tried to get more info from him to solve this. Did manage get a Tracker Retrieve removed but it did not solve it. Not sure if there are other tracking units on. He,his wife and company seem to be the only owners. Phoned a couple other tracking companies and they did not have the car on their records. Anyway, the car has a sleep problem until shut down and not a continuous parasitic drain once the power module forces shut down, so unlikely to be a tracking unit, but then again am open to advice.

Sorry for long story but rather give you all the details once. The previous owner seems to have a normal 100AH battery in there and not the 90 AH AGM BMW spec battery. I fully charged it using an Optimate trickle charger and also registered it with INPA. Inpa shows battery at 14 volts when running.

Any advice and or assistance or contact reference will be much appreciated. Am in Pretoria but willing to go anywhere in Gauteng to solve this. Think it should just be a matter of someone who has wiring diagrams for fuse 15 and is able to unplug stuff on that circuit.

Main persistent Inpa codes are 46D3 DDE internal control unit 4, SIM/SGM 93FC battery lead positive monitoring of shielding (could this be it or is this because I have the battery switched to off). There is the steering column adjuster error SZL 94F5

There are two that I have not figured EMF D3B8 and CIM D996

Thanks in advance.
Ibrahim

Hello.

my car have a same problem. Are you found a reason?

Fuse #15 (airbag) is power SGM-SIM and ZGM Module. when i will disconnect ZGM connector car goes sleep normally. when i will disconnect airbag optic wires battery draining more then 9 Amper and cant sleep.

If i still disconnected GZM connector dashboard, gerbox, DSC, ABS and other options not working.

i have a new battery 95Amp AGM and New Valeo alternator. this problem started 3-4 week ago.

User(s) browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)

Return to TopReturn to Content