Hi Kenny there are no installation files

[Image: small2_zpse3adb13c.jpg]

[Image: 217041.png]

E46 2003 325i Sold
E90 LCI 2009 325i Trade in
F30 2013 320d current
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-09-2016, 01:34 PM (This post was last modified: 29-09-2016 01:35 PM by francoishensen11.)
RE: Diagnostics with Rheingold ISTA-D
Quick question fellas, when using the software I can read and clear error codes on the e46 via the usb obd cable but I can't get into the e90 (2008) with the same cable, do I need an e-net cable to be able to read the e90? And if that's the case where can I get one (with price if possible) cheers.

Sent from Cape Town
Find all posts by this user
29-09-2016, 01:51 PM
(29-09-2016 01:34 PM)francoishensen11 Wrote:  Quick question fellas, when using the software I can read and clear error codes on the e46 via the usb obd cable but I can't get into the e90 (2008) with the same cable, do I need an e-net cable to be able to read the e90? And if that's the case where can I get one (with price if possible) cheers.

Sent from Cape Town
Correct me if I am wrong, but the e-net cable is for the F-series cars, F30 ect.
Both the E46 and E90 use the usb obd cable. However take note, there is 2 pins on the cable that gets connected together for the E46 where as with the E90 it must not be connected together. Typically the cables on ebay with the switch makes that easier, or you can have 2 of the USB OBD cables, 1x for E46 with pins connected, 1x for E90 without them connected.

In garage
01 BMW E46 330i 5-speed manual
03 BMW E46 318i N42 Manual
95 Nissan 1400 bakkie
29-09-2016, 01:53 PM
(29-09-2016 01:51 PM)Tinuva Wrote:  
(29-09-2016 01:34 PM)francoishensen11 Wrote:  Quick question fellas, when using the software I can read and clear error codes on the e46 via the usb obd cable but I can't get into the e90 (2008) with the same cable, do I need an e-net cable to be able to read the e90? And if that's the case where can I get one (with price if possible) cheers.

Sent from Cape Town
Correct me if I am wrong, but the e-net cable is for the F-series cars, F30 ect.
Both the E46 and E90 use the usb obd cable. However take note, there is 2 pins on the cable that gets connected together for the E46 where as with the E90 it must not be connected together. Typically the cables on ebay with the switch makes that easier, or you can have 2 of the USB OBD cables, 1x for E46 with pins connected, 1x for E90 without them connected.
That's the part I forgot to add, I have the short cable that switches/bridge the pins, with and without it, the e90 still doesn't read.

Sent from Cape Town
15-10-2016, 03:49 PM
@anees27 many thx for these!

In garage
95 Nissan 1400 bakkie
06-04-2017, 09:29 AM (This post was last modified: 06-04-2017 09:33 AM by Juggy.)
Does anyone have a full download for this software?

Also, would this cable be OK for error checking, clearing and programming?

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/274782327...r_BMW.html
06-04-2017, 09:40 AM (This post was last modified: 06-04-2017 09:41 AM by Tinuva.)
(06-04-2017 09:29 AM)Juggy Wrote:  Does anyone have a full download for this software?

That cable (referred to as an INPA cable I believe) will work for error checking and testing in ISTA-D but you shouldn't use it for programming in ISTA-P (both ISTA-D/P is part of the Rheingold software pack). I assume the -D stand for diagnostics and the -P for programming.

There was a post earlier in this thread explaining the proper cables to get if you want to do programming. That post is post #125 in this thread @ https://www.bmwfanatics.co.za/showthread...pid1075159

I have that cable you linked to on bidorbuy. I had to make a change to it to get it to work on my E46 cars, but if you have an E90 you shouldn't need to make that change. But of the best info on what cable to look for, read that post by @GPGrobler

In garage
95 Nissan 1400 bakkie
06-04-2017, 09:52 AM
(06-04-2017 09:40 AM)Tinuva Wrote:  
(06-04-2017 09:29 AM)Juggy Wrote:  Does anyone have a full download for this software?

That cable (referred to as an INPA cable I believe) will work for error checking and testing in ISTA-D but you shouldn't use it for programming in ISTA-P (both ISTA-D/P is part of the Rheingold software pack). I assume the -D stand for diagnostics and the -P for programming.

There was a post earlier in this thread explaining the proper cables to get if you want to do programming. That post is post #125 in this thread @ https://www.bmwfanatics.co.za/showthread...pid1075159

I have that cable you linked to on bidorbuy. I had to make a change to it to get it to work on my E46 cars, but if you have an E90 you shouldn't need to make that change. But of the best info on what cable to look for, read that post by @GPGrobler

Thank you, think I will start my learning with reading and clearing. Just need to find the ISTA-D software to download.
07-04-2017, 09:57 AM
(20-05-2015 12:32 PM)GPGrobler Wrote:  I think it might be useful to copy this write up by Ratslaaf here as well:

The ICOM is an actual device that sits between your PC and the car. Here's a few notes below on diagnosing, coding and flashing your car.

Diagnostics
- both ICOMs and INPA cables can work here.
- both these approaches can work with INPA and ISTA/D
- both these cables work on E series and F series cars
- if you only ever going to work on F series cars, I wouldn't bother with either an ICOM or an INPA cable. I would stick to using an Ethernet dongle direct to the cars Gateway.

Coding
- both ICOMs and INPA cables can work here.
- using an INPA cables, you can only code E series cars using NCSExpert. If you want to code both E and F series cars with one single device you need and ICOM. F Series cars use Esys for coding, not NCSExpert. If you only going to work with F series cars, you can use an Ethernet dongle and Esys and you set.
- you can use ISTA/P to do coding but it's not very flexible. To use ISTA/P for coding you need an ICOM and a Programmer PSU to keep the cars voltage above 13V at all times.

Flashing
- if you want to flash your car, take you INPA cable and hide it. You absolutely, positively should never use an INPA cable to flash your car using an ICOM emulator. I don't care who tells me what, you mustn't do it. On the MHH forums linked above, there's many cases of guys that have bricked ECUs using an ICOM emulator with ISTA/P.
- if you want to flash your E series car with an INPA cable, use WinKFP. It's safer but still risky. And WinKFP needs a fair amount of experience to use and not nearly as easy as ISTA/P
- if you want to flash your F series car, use Esys and an Ethernet dongle. Again, Esys needs a lot of experience to use but is safe if you know what you're doing.
- if you want to flash both E and F series cars, you must use an ICOM. It's the dealer tool and is the safest way to flash cars.
- no matter what approach you use, you need to have a Programming charger to keep the cars voltage above 13V

All the above said, you do need experience to work on these cars, more so for coding and especially for flashing as you can brick your car and no amount of tools would be able to get it to work again.

If you do brick a module, you have to replace it as you cannot use any of these tools to communicate with the module as it is no longer working. An alternative is using something like XProg or UPA. This involves finding a dump of the original firmware running on a module and soldering pins to the bricked module in order to access the CPU in the bricked module and flash it. These modules are security protected so this is not a simple process. See below the pain you have to go through to unbrick a module, and this is no guarantee of success

As always, I'll gladly help out but this is a serious investment in tools. I'm thus seriously considering to start a side line business specializing in these matters.

In closing, guys, you need to be careful as there are many, many pitfalls along the way and if things go wrong it WILL get expensive. And things do go wrong, this from someone who has broken many modules and learned from the school of hard knocks.

Can you advise exactly which ICOM interface is required for the E90?
13-04-2017, 10:12 AM (This post was last modified: 13-04-2017 10:13 AM by Tinuva.)
(07-04-2017 09:57 AM)Juggy Wrote:  Can you advise exactly which ICOM interface is required for the E90?

I think you need at least ICOM A2+B. If you have ICOM A2+B+C you can do most cars from 1999 to 2013 cars. For newer than that you may need A3 or something else, but also it may be dependent on the software, to be honest there are so much information out there, its crazy to try and figure it all out. But I think it is safe to say go for A2+B+C.

At least, that is what I would go for.

In garage
95 Nissan 1400 bakkie
The following 1 user Likes Tinuva's post:
Juggy
16-04-2017, 01:21 PM
I have recently downloaded a version of ISTA-D and ISTA-P.
Its working on windows 10 and i am able to scan my car (1 series) using the D CAN cable. I have it running on a virtual box VM on my MAC.

It contains and instruction guide with all the tools and files required to install including cable drivers and ICOM emulators for ISTA-P

With regards to the ISTA-P i havent yet completed the installation. so need to make sure that works.
Anyway who wants a copy i will gladly share, just note zipped its a 130GB share.
The following 1 user Likes DannyBoyOPC's post:
Iceman12596
15-07-2017, 08:27 AM
Hi everyone.

Can I kindly ask that anyone who posts links to download software relating to the topic of this thread do so via means other than that of posting the links in this thread?

The Google bot flagged this thread with a policy infringement notice and so I've had to take down all posts with said links in them.

Thanks

/o(O)(O) \ (lllllllll)(lllllllll) / (O)(O)o\
My thread - sold

Click here to view the network of forums hosted by TheFanatics.co.za | Click here to find out more about advertising on our network of forums | Click here for a list of our current advertisers | Click here for the forum rules and guidelines | Click here and check your region for any past and upcoming events and get-togethers | Click here to find out how to gain ///Member status
15-07-2017, 09:29 AM
(15-07-2017 08:27 AM)ChefDJ@TheFanatics Wrote:  Hi everyone.

Can I kindly ask that anyone who posts links to download software relating to the topic of this thread do so via means other than that of posting the links in this thread?

The Google bot flagged this thread with a policy infringement notice and so I've had to take down all posts with said links in them.

Thanks

Thats a reasonable request. Sorry

In garage
95 Nissan 1400 bakkie
15-07-2017, 07:39 PM
(16-04-2017 01:21 PM)DannyBoyOPC Wrote:  I have recently downloaded a version of ISTA-D and ISTA-P.
Its working on windows 10 and i am able to scan my car (1 series) using the D CAN cable. I have it running on a virtual box VM on my MAC.

It contains and instruction guide with all the tools and files required to install including cable drivers and ICOM emulators for ISTA-P

With regards to the ISTA-P i havent yet completed the installation. so need to make sure that works.
Anyway who wants a copy i will gladly share, just note zipped its a 130GB share.

May I kindly ask which version you have? The last time Kenny432 posted links, it was the most comprehensive & latest and would love to have that copy as my HDD crashed.

Thanks in advance

Current: 2009 BMW E60 520d LCI M Sport - Space Grey Metallic
Exes: 2006 BMW E90 320i Alpine White III (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2007 VW Citi 1.4 Black Magic Metallic
2007 Ford Fiesta 1.4 Silver
15-07-2017, 08:10 PM
I am almost up to date. I have quick stand alone versions. Unzip and go.
Less head aches than trying to install.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
15-07-2017, 08:11 PM
Diagnostics with Rheingold ISTA-D
(15-07-2017 08:10 PM)KENNY432 Wrote:  I am almost up to date. I have quick stand alone versions. Unzip and go.

Where are you based? I don't mind sending over an external hard drive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
15-07-2017, 08:12 PM
Randpark ridge , gauteng, close to beyers naude drive

16-07-2017, 11:04 PM
(15-07-2017 08:10 PM)KENNY432 Wrote:  I am almost up to date. I have quick stand alone versions. Unzip and go.

Could I possibly send you a USB stick or external HDD?

Thanks in advance

Current: 2009 BMW E60 520d LCI M Sport - Space Grey Metallic
Exes: 2006 BMW E90 320i Alpine White III (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2007 VW Citi 1.4 Black Magic Metallic
2007 Ford Fiesta 1.4 Silver
17-07-2017, 11:32 AM
Send me pm we can arrange

17-07-2017, 12:16 PM
Hello,
I am looking to buy a quality ENET cable.
Where is the best place to get one please?
Thank you!

User(s) browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)

Return to TopReturn to Content