Thread Rating:
  • 32 Vote(s) - 2.84 Average
Diagnostics with Rheingold ISTA-D
02-01-2015, 06:10 PM (This post was last modified: 02-01-2015 06:17 PM by Hugo_za.)
So I downloaded the Rheingold ISTA-D native installer.

Those of you who know something about OBD cables and fault code reading will know that generally we rely on Ediabas and INPA to read and clear fault codes etc. ISIS, SSS, Progman, ISTA-P and ISTA-D have always required virtual machines to run since they require either linux, unix or embedded OS'. Now we have Rheingold, which is a native version of ISTA-D (diagnosis) which you install on Windows. It uses Ediabas to communicate, and can use the OBD cable to do so :-)

I did a test run with it today, and boy, it makes INPA look messy and complicated. For instance, when you do the vehicle test it shows you a diagram of all the control units, and those with errors are marked in yellow. You can then read the codes, preform tests, etc. There are also test plans that get calculated, for instance to re-learn the VVT settings, and if the correct conditions are not met then the test does not continue. I did some general adaption and relearning on the DME and EGS today, and my car feels much nippier!

In short, its awesome! It is a hefty download, and takes allot of HD space, but it is well worth it. Setup is much simpler than INPA and the like.

If you have any question please feel free to ask. I will help where I can :-)

This is a screenshot of Rheingold running in a Windows XP VM on my Macbook Pro Retina 15".
[Image: rheingold_9355111168.jpg]

::Current::
F12 650i Vert

Black Sapphire Metallic | Dakota Black Sport Seats | EDC | Dynamic Drive | Adaptive Drive | Soft Close Doors | HUD | Surround View
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
The following 12 users Like Hugo_za's post:
Andy1GP, djaj, GunterTech, hoosain, Karsh330d, Kish2604, Loom, Rayzor, RC335i, Serg_ZA, Spiro, tumzozo
02-01-2015, 08:13 PM
RE: Diagnostics with Rheingold ISTA-D
interesting, unfortunately i sold my netbook, so have no portable windows or linux unit.

No, no, he didn’t slam you, he didn’t bump you, he didn’t nudge you… he *rubbed* you. And rubbin, son, is racin’. – Harry Hogge, Days of Thunder

Current Rides
2007 530d MSport (DP, 76mm exhaust, RK Motion tune, OEM M6 wheels)
2012 X1 2.0D MSport
1996 200 Si Camry
[Image: photo from sashchern_5592516823.jpg]
02-01-2015, 09:38 PM
I've been using it for a while now Wink And you're correct, it really is a remarkable tool compared to what is out there for other vehicle manufacturers. It makes VAG's ODIS look like a clunky toy.

PMs don’t work, so if I don’t reply I’m not being rude.
The following 1 user Likes Ratslaaf's post:
Hugo_za
03-01-2015, 08:31 PM
(02-01-2015 06:10 PM)Hugo_za Wrote:  So I downloaded the Rheingold ISTA-D native installer.

Those of you who know something about OBD cables and fault code reading will know that generally we rely on Ediabas and INPA to read and clear fault codes etc. ISIS, SSS, Progman, ISTA-P and ISTA-D have always required virtual machines to run since they require either linux, unix or embedded OS'. Now we have Rheingold, which is a native version of ISTA-D (diagnosis) which you install on Windows. It uses Ediabas to communicate, and can use the OBD cable to do so :-)

I did a test run with it today, and boy, it makes INPA look messy and complicated. For instance, when you do the vehicle test it shows you a diagram of all the control units, and those with errors are marked in yellow. You can then read the codes, preform tests, etc. There are also test plans that get calculated, for instance to re-learn the VVT settings, and if the correct conditions are not met then the test does not continue. I did some general adaption and relearning on the DME and EGS today, and my car feels much nippier!

In short, its awesome! It is a hefty download, and takes allot of HD space, but it is well worth it. Setup is much simpler than INPA and the like.

If you have any question please feel free to ask. I will help where I can :-)

This is a screenshot of Rheingold running in a Windows XP VM on my Macbook Pro Retina 15".
[Image: rheingold_9355111168.jpg]

Hi, where did u download it from.
The following 1 user Likes CliftonH's post:
Spiro
03-01-2015, 08:49 PM
^^^ It's a bit harr harr - if you want a copy I can assist with the latest version.

I'm actually thinking of going for something like this to complete my diagnostics setup:
[Image: EVG7%20Diagnostic%20Controller_Tablet_PC_2.jpg]

Much more convenient than lugging a laptop along all the time and a lot more rugged and compact

03-01-2015, 08:58 PM
(03-01-2015 08:49 PM)Gbyleveldt Wrote:  ^^^ It's a bit harr harr - if you want a copy I can assist with the latest version.

I'm actually thinking of going for something like this to complete my diagnostics setup:
[Image: EVG7%20Diagnostic%20Controller_Tablet_PC_2.jpg]

Much more convenient than lugging a laptop along all the time and a lot more rugged and compact

Hi Gert, you extremely serious abt your tools and machines, to the forum members you need to see gerts garage, this is a normal garage where he parks his cars, but on the walls he has tools all over, even a cnc machine.

Gert I have your number, I guess I will be taking another drive to you, yes I would def like a copy, after seeing this program in action, inpa looks ancient history.
Ty
The following 1 user Likes CliftonH's post:
Ratslaaf
03-01-2015, 08:58 PM
Not a bad kit bit costs are a bit high. Having the ICOM setup is a major plus though.

F12 650i Vert

Black Sapphire Metallic | Dakota Black Sport Seats | EDC | Dynamic Drive | Adaptive Drive | Soft Close Doors | HUD | Surround View
03-01-2015, 09:03 PM
Well it's not THAT bad, you looking at around $600 for a ruggedised machine with a touch screen. Sure, it's a Celeron but I've been running Rheingold on an old Core2Duo laptop till recently.

And for $900 you can get it with an Icom A2 as well. That's a bargain in my books...

@Clifton, I can PM you where to get it. But setup can be tricky. Anyways, why bother? You don't have a BM anymore?Rofl

Ok, ok, kak joke. Sorry Wink

StealthM
04-01-2015, 08:04 AM
The one I have is super simple to set up. Extract RAR archive > move to program files > change com port settings > run. Simple as that :-)

F12 650i Vert

04-01-2015, 08:28 AM
Hi guys

Please an you tell me where to download this from?

Also, which would be the correct cable to connect to my 2007 325i. I have been looking on eBay and there is listed different types (OBD II , k something, etc). Lastly, would you recommend the cables sold on eBay?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

[Image: img1_8048765524.jpg]
04-01-2015, 10:33 AM
The only OBD cable I would use is the one from OneStopElectronics. I have a Zastra one here that doesn't work. The issue is that they are using fake FTDI chips and FTDI made it a pain to use their drivers after Oct 2014.

They're around $99 for the correct cable, with the eBay ones it'll be hit or miss.

@Hugo: I meant tricky was setting up Ediabas as well as Rheingold and it might be a little daunting for someone who has not use it before.

Anyway, anyone that wants Rheingold can PM me with your email addy so I can send you the attachment with the link in it. Or you can bring a flash drive and come grab it from me in either Benoni at night or Centurion by day.

Ta,

The following 5 users Like Ratslaaf's post:
Andrew, Loom, Pimp330i, ShirazA, Spiro
31-01-2015, 12:49 PM
Hi Hugo

Do you have a copy of the software. I would appreciate if i may obtain a copy.

I have attempted to download a torrent but file corrupts at 33.7%.

Do you have a alternative download link.

Thank you

Sent from my GT-N7100
31-01-2015, 03:22 PM
(31-01-2015 12:49 PM)moxypen Wrote:  Hi Hugo

Thank you

Sent from my GT-N7100

Hey bud. You can grab it on the convoy day but if you need it sooner we could meet somewhere and you can copy it from me.

F12 650i Vert

31-01-2015, 03:41 PM
(31-01-2015 03:22 PM)Hugo_za Wrote:  
(31-01-2015 12:49 PM)moxypen Wrote:  Hi Hugo

Thank you

Sent from my GT-N7100

Hey bud. You can grab it on the convoy day but if you need it sooner we could meet somewhere and you can copy it from me.
Hi Hugo

Convoy day will be good.

Will bring external hdd along

Thank you

Sent from my GT-N7100
01-02-2015, 10:01 AM
Re: RE: Diagnostics with Rheingold ISTA-D
(04-01-2015 10:33 AM)Ratslaaf Wrote:  The only OBD cable I would use is the one from OneStopElectronics. I have a Zastra one here that doesn't work. The issue is that they are using fake FTDI chips and FTDI made it a pain to use their drivers after Oct 2014.

They're around $99 for the correct cable, with the eBay ones it'll be hit or miss.

@Hugo: I meant tricky was setting up Ediabas as well as Rheingold and it might be a little daunting for someone who has not use it before.

Anyway, anyone that wants Rheingold can PM me with your email addy so I can send you the attachment with the link in it. Or you can bring a flash drive and come grab it from me in either Benoni at night or Centurion by day.

Ta,

Hi

What is the size of the file?

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk
01-02-2015, 10:13 AM
The simplest solution would be to copy the whole VMware image. It has all the tools already installed and working. Its under 70gb.

F12 650i Vert

The following 1 user Likes Hugo_za's post:
rodga
04-02-2015, 11:49 AM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2015 11:55 AM by GPGrobler.)
Hi Hugo,

You are my hero for starting this thread, I really hope we can chat soon because it is sort of a nightmare to get DIS and Progman to work, not even mentioning INPA, so this thread to me is like the smell of fresh coffee in the morning Clapper

My worry now is that I have read some horror reports on this thread about the Zasttra cable, will it work or not? Banghead

BMW E30 318i ///M Tech 1989, BMW E46 320i 2002, BMW E46 323i 2000
10-02-2015, 01:47 PM
Hugo a question here: It seems like Rheingold also requires a XP VM to run, just like DIS and Progman?

10-02-2015, 03:02 PM
Nope. It runs native on XP, win7 and win8

Spiro
10-02-2015, 04:24 PM
Here is the reason I asked the question about the VM:

So I guess it needs a VM to run on a Mac then, but it runs native on a Win 7 laptop? That is great! Bluebiggrin

User(s) browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)

Return to TopReturn to Content