Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 2.43 Average
Carbon Doctor Review, Lots of Pics
04-02-2013, 12:32 PM
Carbon Doctor Review, Lots of Pics
This Saturday the 2nd of February I was invited by George and the Carbon Doctor crew to get my N54 treated some carbon build up cleaning. I got there early in the morning and was initially welcomed and greeted by Sandile, the carbon doctor apprentice. He is a warm friendly guy who loves his job and we chatted for quite some time, while the car was busy cooling off.
I then heard a semi-rumble in the distance and that was when Mr Smooth made his introduction in his worked 335  hehe, he was just moving his car to make way to put my car in his workshop. A fan was propped up next to the car to facillate the cooling down process. We then took a walk to get some coffee and I had a good chat with George. I was blown away by his wealth of knowledge and yet by his modesty and humbleness. The message came across very loud and clear, George is a true petrolhead and his business acumen revolves around his passion for cars and offering his clients a truly valuable service. After a while we went to go check up on my car and the car was being very carefully stripped to get to the intake manifold. Sandile made note of any missing bolts/nuts/clips. George then asked me to fill a form in with all my details and handed me some white stickers which he asked me to label with the identification “POO-94” He does this just to give some customers peace of mind that the photos you see are actually of your car but I was lucky enough to have spent the day there so I saw the process from beginning to end.
I then met Cleo from the Pietermaritzburg Carbon Doctor branch and he drove all the way to get some hands on experience from George and Obie. While waiting for the car to cool off, Cleo invited me to get some breakfast with him and I got a chance to catch up with another petrolhead and he spoke very fondly of his love for Nitros and he showed me pictures of his E46 with a csl engine setup and 6fogger nitros in the csl airbox Inlove I felt like I was literally in automotive. After satisfying our tummies we went to go check up on Sandile who by now had removed all the plastic covers and shrouds and Cleo was needed to remove the intake manifold. Sandile and Cleo massaged it gently off and i have to admit that I am very fussy when it comes to my car but at no time did I feel uneasy. All the exposed pipes were covered up and all the parts were neatly stacked away in the corner of the workshop, out of the way.

[Image: IMG_0099.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0100.jpg]

My car is a 2010, N54 Dct with 57000km on the clock and I didn’t expect my car to be so badly affected by the carbon build up. If I had not seen it with my own eyes I would not have believed that the intake Ports 5 & 6 were so bad and it looked like little balls of carbon were beginning to form at the base of the valve and I am sure that over time, this “ball” could actually cause some damage to the seating of the valve stem’s of the car….
[Image: IMG_0127.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0128.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0129.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0130.jpg]

The cleaning process is extremely systematic and very well thought. The rubber gaskets on the intake manifold were replaced with a set of original bmw pieces .
Myself and George took some pictures of the new intakes and then everything was very carefully put back with Obie and Cleo confirming with sandile to check that this sensor was put back and everything double checked along the way. I was very very impressed Praise From start to finish it took roughly 5hours,half of that time was needed for the car to actually cool off.

[Image: IMG_0116.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0117.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0118.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0119.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0131.jpg]

Sadly I did not take a picture as I left Georges place, but I took one after about 30km into my journey, I had the cruise control set to 131km/h the entire time and there was about 58km left to go home.

As you can see, as I got home I took another pic and you can see the difference in the consumption. The throttle seemed alot smoother and responsive through the entire rev range. The car’s idle was noticeably quieter and if you opened the door the engine was quieter as well. The rev’s no longer “hunt” when you put the aircon on also.

[Image: IMG_0138.jpg]

I would definitely recommend anyone out there with a direct injection car to consider having this done. In return your car will thank you with better responsiveness, better consumption and I am sure it will only respond better to mod’s because it can breathe easier.

[Image: IMG_0121.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
The following 7 users Like boost3d's post:
Johnny135i, Kaaba, Kish2604, Philip Foglar, Sareshan, sash, Shabz
04-02-2013, 12:41 PM
RE: Carbon Doctor Review, Lots of Pics
Wow that is amazing they really manage to get those ports nice and clean. Just one question popped up in my mind.
What precautions are they doing to make sure no debris gets past the valves and on top of the piston? Even with the valves closed something might be lying on the valve and as soon as the engine turns it falls in.
But awesome job, well done Carbon Doctor.
The following 1 user Likes Turbo 1's post:
boost3d
04-02-2013, 12:42 PM
Blik skottels. My GTi has 13 xxx km on and I'm already stressing about carbon build up lol.

2016 Focus RS
Click: Youtube Channel
Click: Build Thread
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
The following 1 user Likes Rommies's post:
boost3d
04-02-2013, 12:45 PM
(04-02-2013 12:41 PM)Turbo 1 Wrote:  Wow that is amazing they really manage to get those ports nice and clean. Just one question popped up in my mind.
What precautions are they doing to make sure no debris gets past the valves and on top of the piston? Even with the valves closed something might be lying on the valve and as soon as the engine turns it falls in.

I dont want to divulge any trade secrets Sorry but what i can say in laymans terms is, that the intake is vacuumed and blasted at the same time.
04-02-2013, 01:06 PM
Awesome review. Thumbs

Hoping to have mine done next week. Can't wait for the drop in fuel consumption. Argh
The following 1 user Likes mo335's post:
boost3d
04-02-2013, 01:21 PM
(04-02-2013 01:06 PM)mo335 Wrote:  Awesome review. Thumbs

Hoping to have mine done next week. Can't wait for the drop in fuel consumption. Argh

Trust me Mo your jb is gonna love having its nose unblocked!
Do some logs this week and then log your car after . The numbers alone will tell the complete story
04-02-2013, 01:23 PM
Thumbs Good review

Well done to the Carbon Doc crew Bravo

[Image: Crazyridez_forum_banner.jpg]

[Image: spazaBtn.png]

current:

02 E46 330i |ALPINE WHITE|SECONDARY DE-CAT|GLOSS BLACK STYLE 47 WHEELS|LED ANGLE EYES|LAMIN X LIGHTS| 212 000KM

EX :99 OPEL KADETT 200IS |CUSTOM EXHAUST|WILDCAT RACE HEADERS | 90 MM TIP|K&N CAI|149 000KM
EX:94 Toyota MR2 SW20 TURBO 3SGTE 87 000KM
Ex:Ford Sapphire 2.0 Pinto |Gotech Engine Management |Forged Internals|Auto to Manual swap |Hydraulic cluth | 17 inch Smith wheels|
The following 1 user Likes Mo63's post:
boost3d
04-02-2013, 01:56 PM
(04-02-2013 12:41 PM)Turbo 1 Wrote:  Wow that is amazing they really manage to get those ports nice and clean. Just one question popped up in my mind.

This is a very valid question. The carbon is hard on the surface but wet and sticks like glue on the valve. Each port is done individually and inspected very carefully using a dental mirror to get behind the valve. The reason the photographs are taken are for piece of mind that employees do not take any short cuts in the process of cleaning. Leaving behind a piece of carbon on the valve will result in accelerated build up on that cylinder which will be visible in less than 5000km. This would put our reputation on the line and the whole idea of the affectiveness of carbon build up cleaning.
If for whatever reason a small piece goes through it will not cause any damage as the process we use turns the carbon into a putty. The pistons are already full of carbon and chances are that it will probably burn or worse case stick to the piston or head. I will drop a piece in my motor to see what happens out of the love of science. The chances of this happening though is the same as having your mechanic drop a bolt into the cylinder head.
I have been following your threads in regard to your mods on the car and would advise you have this done prior to going the full monty as in some full bolt on cars the clean required a retune to get the full potential of the timing and boost. Some cars managed to run 4 degrees more timing.Thumbs

2008 E90 335i AT - RB Turbos
251km/h- 1km Sprint Stock Turbo's
256km/h- 1km RB Turbos
2016 Audi RS3
2015 Golf 7 1.4TSI
2014 Golf 7 R
2014 Golf GTI
2015 Golf GTI
The following 2 users Like George Smooth's post:
boost3d, Turbo 1
04-02-2013, 02:02 PM
Nicely done PraisePraise

Any one had this done on the e90 tractors ?? 330d and if so whats the final say ??Ty

Current : 2013 e71 X6 4.0D (His)
Current : 2013 X1 Msport 2.0d 8 spd Auto (Hers)
Ex Land Rover Range Rover Sport HSE Luxury
Ex F30 320i MSport Performance Edition
Ex G5 Gti Dsg
Ex E90 LCI 320d M Sport
Ex C220 CDI AMG Merc
Ex Audi Q5 2.0 T Quatrro
Ex E90 330d M Sport
Ex C320 cdi AMG Merc
Ex E60 525 M sport
Ex E90 325 M Sport
Ex E 46 330D M sport
Ex E 60 523 M sport
EX X5 3.0 SD
04-02-2013, 02:04 PM
Very very nicely done, George,

Tell me, what type of buildup does one normally get on your m54 and s54 motors.?

Regards

[Image: BMWFanaticsSig600_zps429c924f.jpg]
04-02-2013, 02:11 PM
(04-02-2013 02:04 PM)LordPhoenix Wrote:  Very very nicely done, George,

Tell me, what type of buildup does one normally get on your m54 and s54 motors.?

The S54 shouldn't have any build on the valves or slight for that matter if the injectors are spraying the way they should. The m54 suffers a bit from sludging. We are working on a cleaning solution for conventional injection cars which will include the combustion chamber. The jury is still out in terms of long term gains of having this done. Playing around with the carbon in the combustion chamber is a science. Some old timers believe that having the carbon altered in the combustion chamber will result in a change of the ring seating which will cause oil consumption issues. I am testing three vehicles that have been cleaned completely and monitoring the oil useage. If the results are negative we will be only embarking on a intake cleaning process for the conventionally injected cars which are affected by oil and gunk in the manifold and intake ports. In short the M54 is affected and the S54 I wouldn't even consider.

256km/h- 1km RB Turbos
2016 Audi RS3
2015 Golf 7 1.4TSI
2014 Golf 7 R
2014 Golf GTI
2015 Golf GTI
04-02-2013, 02:13 PM
(04-02-2013 02:02 PM)Kishore Wrote:  Nicely done PraisePraise

Any one had this done on the e90 tractors ?? 330d and if so whats the final say ??Ty

The gains on the diesels are similar if not better. We will be doing some forum members cars soon so stay tuned for reviews. Working on shortening the cleaning process now to make it more cost affective and we will be launching the diesel cleans at a special rate similar to what we have done on the N54/N55's. Stay tuned Thumbs

256km/h- 1km RB Turbos
2016 Audi RS3
2015 Golf 7 1.4TSI
2014 Golf 7 R
2014 Golf GTI
2015 Golf GTI
The following 1 user Likes George Smooth's post:
Kishore
04-02-2013, 02:24 PM
Thumbs Nice review and clears up some stuff
needed to know about doing this.
04-02-2013, 02:29 PM
(04-02-2013 02:24 PM)135_SVL Wrote:  Thumbs Nice review and clears up some stuff
needed to know about doing this.

Go for it, I promise you won't be disappointed
04-02-2013, 02:41 PM
Nice review, well done George Thumbs

04-02-2013, 02:45 PM
Thanks George!Ty

Regards

[Image: BMWFanaticsSig600_zps429c924f.jpg]
04-02-2013, 03:23 PM
Great review G'spec.

Can't wait for mine to be done Joy
04-02-2013, 03:52 PM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2013 04:12 PM by George Smooth.)
@German_spec your comments about me make me want to blush Rofl I am happy you happy. Thank you for taking the time to write the review. I think your before fuel pic isnt showing. Send me the link and will put it in.

256km/h- 1km RB Turbos
2016 Audi RS3
2015 Golf 7 1.4TSI
2014 Golf 7 R
2014 Golf GTI
2015 Golf GTI
The following 1 user Likes George Smooth's post:
boost3d
04-02-2013, 04:14 PM
(04-02-2013 03:52 PM)George Smooth Wrote:  @German_spec your comments about me make me want to blush Rofl I am happy you happy. Thank you for taking the time to write the review.

It was the least I could do considering how well you guys treated me on Saturday , my car was happy to get some tlc, I was happy just to have been around you guys Bluebiggrin

Thanks again George, like i said before if there is anything little ol humble me can ever do for you, please don't hesitate to let me know and I will do my best to help .
04-02-2013, 04:40 PM
Question : Would some kind of non stick coating/ on the valves not prevent the buildup, or is it not a viable option?

[Image: sig_zps60197c25.jpg]
| BMW E90 325i | SportPack | BurgerTunig PowerBox | 19" CSL Reps | Carbon Fiber Boot Spoiler | OEM Blackline Taillights | Bluetooth | Chrome Exhaust Tips |

User(s) browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)

Return to TopReturn to Content