Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Jezebel New Engine = New Life
02-08-2010, 05:59 PM
Jezebel New Engine = New Life
Hiya All

As mentioned last week I will no longer be updating the previous build thread as it came to an end.. and what a rough one it was for poor Jezebel.

After selling the charger there were a number of "niggles" that needed sorting out and as mentioned I have been hunting for a shop to take things to the next level. I have learnt so much from the last 3 years of modifying and like they say "hind sight is 20/20!!"... If only I knew then what I know know I would have done things very differently.

So the first thing to get right is the mechanical team as modifying is not a case of just buying bits and slapping them onto your car (maybe it is with a citi golf but not with a Bimmer). It is more a case of having a deep understanding of the science behind an engine, transmission, suspension and the electronics which make up each car and how these systems all operate together..

Anyway.. on the pics

So here she is outside her new home for the next few weeks, it took 2 stops along the way to get here there thanks to leaking oil, water and God knows what else from the cracked block and stuffed up cooling system I was handed back.

[Image: DSC05841.jpg]

Once I arrived, the car was booked into G&C computer system where EVERY aspect of the car was checked and recorded.. this system tracks each car from arrival to washbay so Deon and the G&C team know not only where the car is, but what it wrong, what's been done and most importantly, what the timing issues are in terms of getting you back on the road...

[Image: DSC05881.jpg]

Then on to a chat with "The Big Man". Deon is big in every sense.. and at 6'2 I'm not used to having to look up into people's faces.. I'm glad he's on my side --- Bluebiggrin (Think WWF's "Andre the Giant" meets Bill Gates) We discussed at great length what needs to be done as we are building this engine for the next level of power I will be aiming for this Summer.... This car will be hunting Lambo's and Ferraris only as everything else will be pre-school by comparison when she's done...

The shop is super impressive, from the entrance.. to the trophy shelf.. to the company slogan... I likes it alot Clap

[Image: DSC05878.jpg]

[Image: DSC05877.jpg]

[Image: DSC05876.jpg]

So onto the good stuff and what particularly turned me on about G & C (BTW I don't work for them in case you are wondering by now... think of this as investigative journalism on behalf of the Bimmer Community!!)

[Image: DSC05850.jpg]

This is the ENGINEERING DEPARTMENT... (and that is DON FREERIDER on the left.. he drove with me in case Jezzy died on the N1!!) they can MAKE cams to order, re-surface heads and blocks, remanufacture heads, re-bore and re-hone cylinders and manufacture a range of needed bits and pieces.. when I arrived they were actually busy manufacturing some race spec Billet Cams for a customer who had specific needs for the timing durations.

[Image: DSC05853.jpg]

[Image: DSC05848.jpg]

Here's the donor engine... a S54 which threw a bearing but is otherwise fine

[Image: DSC05845.jpg]

Deon will be combining this engine with the best parts of mine and re-engineering whatever is neccessary to get EACH AND EVERY component of the engine back to the manufacturing spec... G&C will be using measurements to 1/1000th of a mm so the engine I will end up with will have tolerance fully 100 times more accurate than a stock M3 engine and perfect for the level of power we will be achieving...

[Image: DSC05857.jpg]

Bottom End

[Image: DSC05856.jpg]

Head (Notice the carbon on exhaust ports and even color on intake ports.. this is an engine which was driven carefully... actually too much so... it was not opened up enough as can be seen by the slight ridges in the cylinders

[Image: DSC05860.jpg]

And finally the shop floor.. more pics to follow once Jezzy is stripped down and a full damage report is sent through

[Image: DSC05880.jpg]

Incidentally... we will be re-boring the engine to 87.5mm (stock M3 is 87) as this will allow the level of accuracy required and will clear the new larger CP Pistons...

Loads more pics as we go... my parts leave Horsepower freaks on Wednesday evening so more this week we will just concentrate on the dissasembly of the car and the machining of the engine components to get everything ready for the re-build next week..

And finally... Jezzy 2... well for the next few days... chicks dig it Bluebiggrin

[Image: DSC05882.jpg]

JEZEBEL IS NOW SOLD Bluebiggrin

CONGRATZ TO THE NEW OWNER.... GUESS GUESS GUESS!!!!!
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
02-08-2010, 06:11 PM
RE: Jezebel New Engine = New Life
I'm in AWE ! Excited

|| 01 BMW E46 330i (M) < 98 BMW E36 323i (M) < 92 OPEL KADETT 200iS ||
02-08-2010, 06:25 PM
Good read and good luck with the build, what stage hpf kit are you going for?
Also when it come's to high power turbo cars tune is everything, who will be tweaking the maps for our high quility
local fuel?
02-08-2010, 07:06 PM (This post was last modified: 02-08-2010 07:50 PM by Twinz@TheFanatics.)
Hi Matt
Those are my friends!!!!!Thumbsup2Thumbsup2 And they are just around the corner from me...will you pop in at my place sometime?

I wrote about G&C on this forum before and attend all their shows...hope they told youThumbsup2 I will give them a buzz tomorrow and tell them to be "extra" nice to youBluebiggrin

So if you are with G&C then you will see "Suspect - WP".......often

G&C started as a small family business and they have grown over the years into a tight/friendly and commercially sustainable & professional Business....It is still one of the few companies where management meet every Friday morning to discuss progress targets/job cards/ finance etc...and the goals for the following week and oh yes they also pray together...very nice environment indeed.

The best part of the company is the engineering section...which took a couple of years to build and establish....excellentThumbsup2

[Image: 1523737_10151904694539958_765632468_o_7092885840.jpg]
02-08-2010, 07:34 PM
I was very impressed with thier setup, some very expensive and proffesional machinery in that engineering dept.

Matt looked like such a geeky computer technician driving off in his manual choke golfie Rofl

[Image: 453872.png]
nihil manet, nisi mutatio
02-08-2010, 07:36 PM
Who pointed you towards G&C or how'd you find out about them?

Good luck with the build! Thumb

[Image: 20161007_182821%201_zpsspfcqdcv.jpg]
02-08-2010, 07:38 PM
I will be watching this one, good work and good luck matt Bluebiggrin

I will be on the other side if anybody needs me Bluebiggrin
02-08-2010, 08:25 PM (This post was last modified: 02-08-2010 08:29 PM by Matt Q.)
(02-08-2010 06:11 PM)FMG Wrote:  I'm in AWE ! Excited

Bluebiggrin you're in awe I'm in debt.. either way the feeling is intense

(02-08-2010 06:25 PM)GasFed m3 Wrote:  Good read and good luck with the build, what stage hpf kit are you going for?
Also when it come's to high power turbo cars tune is everything, who will be tweaking the maps for our high quility
local fuel?

Thanks Dude.. I'm going for the Stage 2 as I really like the big HP gap between the pump and meth maps... I'll be more than happy with 500 ish HP for daily driving at upwards of 600 for fun... This will of course be for a few months before hunger for more will drive me to the stage 2.5 and beyond Bluebiggrin As my current brakes and suspension where designed for the 525bhp AA kit I recon they will all handle HPS Stage 2.. however as I always upgrade safety before speed.. I would up the 4 pots up front to 6 or 8 pot and also put some 4 pots on the rear before going above stage 2... I would probably also re-look at the rest of the chassis and suspension to see if anything else could be improves... (although I HAVE already replaced EVERYTHING come to think of it!!!.. hmmm.. maybe an OS Gilken Diff?

as for the tune.. I have been liaising with the HPF guys for some time now and we will start with base maps and data log the car extensively on the dyno, street and track... HPF will then write maps for SA fuel and we'll run on these.. luckily their kit has loads of knock protection and an alarm in case the cars does detonate so you can tap off the gas quickly..

(02-08-2010 07:06 PM)Twinz Wrote:  and tell them to be "extra" nice to youBluebiggrin

The best part of the company is the engineering section...which took a couple of years to build and establish....excellentThumbsup2

Thanks dude.. would appreciate a vote of confidence from you as I DID mention that you referred me and they were very complimentary about you... I recon you, Deon and I are nerd birds of a feather. It was definitely the engineering section which sold me as it answers all my questions about finding a local shop which can not only do a well priced service but can also handle all the engineering and tech required to modify cars without breaking them.

The other I'm loving is their air-conditioned dyno room... they seriously have the biggest snail fan I've ever seen... like really massive... you really can't simulate speed till you can load the car and get enough air moving over it... that's the problem with dyno tunes... once you are on the street at high speed you get too much air and run lean = KAPOW!!!!

(02-08-2010 07:34 PM)freerider Wrote:  I was very impressed with thier setup, some very expensive and proffesional machinery in that engineering dept. Matt looked like such a geeky computer technician driving off in his manual choke golfie Rofl

You can dress cool and drive an M3.. but once a nerd.... aish!

(02-08-2010 07:36 PM)Major Wrote:  Who pointed you towards G&C or how'd you find out about them?

Hey Dude... it was finally Twinz who suggested I check em out but I had chatted to Deon before and had heard about them from the Lumina guys.. I spent a fair amount of time this year chatting to the various shops around CT, chatting to other modders on the forums and just visiting and checking places out... at the end of the day arriving at G&C was pure automotive Nirvana... SO professional and Deon is a complete nutter when it comes to cars.. the dude REALLY knows his stuff and has been modding cars since his teens..

(02-08-2010 07:38 PM)zaleonardz Wrote:  I will be watching this one, good work and good luck matt Bluebiggrin

Thanks Bro... this time I'll make sure she is unbreakable...

02-08-2010, 08:34 PM
Popcorn1 As always the wait will be worth the money... Good luck, Matt

[Image: traffic-03.gif][Image: HELLASNCSIG1.jpg]
Herman 2003 320d
03-08-2010, 05:48 AM
Thumbsup2

Current : 2001 VW VR6 Sharan
Current : 1985 1.8 VW Fox
Ex: 1999 E46 318i Pre-facelift
[Image: Highway.jpg]
Never give up on a Dream even if others dont encourage it.
You have the Dream & the desire of it for reason, Follow your heart & you cant go wrong
03-08-2010, 07:36 AM
excellent stuff matt. thanks for taking the time

As always this will be very beneficial for all and i'm sure there will be bucket loads of valuable info in the weeks to come. all the best with the buildThumbsup2

You have officially taken things to the next level, I'm so damn glad you chose to take the S54 along with you an introduce the quality of HPF to our shoresStr8pimp

capo di tutti capi
03-08-2010, 08:06 AM
Cant wait to see the finished product.
Good Luck Matt.

[Image: BMWfanforumsigsmaller.jpg]
328i - Track Car - aka RFAD
Mods done:
*Decat
*Push Button Start (TarrTech)
*3.46 Diff (TarrTech)
03-08-2010, 08:32 AM
Very impressive, best of luck to you (your pocket) and your ride!!!

PS. You'll be eating pap and tik for the next year!!

[Image: IMG00149-20100806-0815.jpg]
03-08-2010, 09:46 AM
you going the right way this time with the engine the result should be exactly what you want Bluebiggrin
just look at the last setup as a test bed for your handling setup
im just wandering why the jump to turbo? from the limited research i have done a twin screw charger is a better route? and then you will have the linear power you liked on your last setup... you can get a 2.3l whipple charger for about 30k

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-08-2010, 10:03 AM
(03-08-2010 09:46 AM)moranor Wrote:  you going the right way this time with the engine the result should be exactly what you want Bluebiggrin
just look at the last setup as a test bed for your handling setup
im just wandering why the jump to turbo? from the limited research i have done a twin screw charger is a better route? and then you will have the linear power you liked on your last setup... you can get a 2.3l whipple charger for about 30k

Thank you all for the awesome comments and support. I really am passionate about this community. A real bunch of enthusiasts and great guys too Bluebiggrin I recon the US forums could learn a lot from the attitude over here...

Moranor.. the reason no one uses twinscrews on the S54 is down to speed... the twinscrew produces more low end torque than a rotary charger becuase of the way it compresses the air, however it cannot handle the free revving nature of the M's S54.. it would literally fly to pieces.. you will notice that twin screws are used predominantly on bigger slower engines such as V8's 10's and 12's (Astin Martin, Jaguar etc etc)

AA and EAS use them on kits for 3's... well AA used to.. now they have totally switched to HKS rotary chargers... but they only work on engines up to the 330 where revs dont get into the 8,000+ stratosphere like the M....

I have decided to go the HPF route because of the incredible reviews they have received and because of the build quality I have experienced first hand in the products I have already bought from them.. I already have quite a few HPF bits in my car including

Stage 1 Clutch
AEM gauge pod w/ gauges
Underbody brace

The quality was simply otherworldy....

Also I like the fact that there is A LOT of space to upgrade their kit.... starting at Stage 2 and then seeing how big a turbo they manage to squeeze under the E46 Bluebiggrin

03-08-2010, 10:30 AM
ive been wandering why you dont see twin screw kits for the S54...
im still leaning toward a twin screw for my car because i feel a rotary charger does not boost as evenly
i would rather go for a turbo than a rotary charger because i feel that a turbine is more suited to being used in a turbo than a charger

it will be years before i get anywhere near boost some times i wonder why i bother looking into it now i just cant seem to help myself

03-08-2010, 08:43 PM
Hi Matt

Please drop me a mail. I lost your old email address when I left SOS OIL and deleted everything.

I would like to do an article on your car and some more photographyy for an online magazine I am working on.

mikestafford @ iafrica . com

Thanks!
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2010, 08:46 AM
online magazine? is it up yet can we have a look?

04-08-2010, 09:12 AM
details sent @mike Bluebiggrin

I'm waiting for some pics and feedback from Goch & Cooper today.. keen to do an update

M@!

04-08-2010, 09:21 AM
Hey Moranor

Still at the very early beginnings... But effectively an online mag you can read (PDF) with new cars, builds and such..

Some articles I am working on:

Audi S2 A8 conversion, Matt's ride hopefully etc.

Also featuring things like meets for clubs as well as test drives of new cars.

Dont expect anything huge just yet... It a small thing Im working on in my spare time but something I have been meaning to do.

Thanks M@!

Mike

Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)

Return to TopReturn to Content