Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All of a sudden: E60 Swimming pool
11-01-2017, 10:09 AM
Good day,

So over the weekend there was some rain in and around Gauteng. Got home parked the 5er all windows and sunroof closed. There is no way any of the windows were opened because when I got home on Friday it was raining and so the sunroof and windows were all closed.

Didn't drive it until Sunday night when I went to get some groceries and it was just full of water rear drivers side foot well and no were else. There was so much water in the car when I turned it was slashing around and making noise that's how it got my attention. The seats are dry, looked around the windows and sunroof and everything is dry no water stains either but there it just water. Lots of it

Anyone ever had this before?
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
11-01-2017, 10:46 AM
RE: All of a sudden: E60 Swimming pool
Sounds terrible,

The only opinion I can supply is that your firewall may have a rust patch which is allowing fluid into your car.

Common problem is the front section where the wiper motor is located...a stack of leaves or debris could accumulate and soak water, causing a catch point for water, within a period you have a nice hole which allows a flood of water in, along your footwell....it may explain why your seats werent wet.

Stick your head and hand in along the foot well and underside of the dash, you may see the hole or feel it.

No quick fix, but a diagnosis would be the first step.

Hope it helps...
11-01-2017, 11:02 AM
(11-01-2017 10:09 AM)Dirtydeedsman Wrote:  Good day,

So over the weekend there was some rain in and around Gauteng. Got home parked the 5er all windows and sunroof closed. There is no way any of the windows were opened because when I got home on Friday it was raining and so the sunroof and windows were all closed.

Didn't drive it until Sunday night when I went to get some groceries and it was just full of water rear drivers side foot well and no were else. There was so much water in the car when I turned it was slashing around and making noise that's how it got my attention. The seats are dry, looked around the windows and sunroof and everything is dry no water stains either but there it just water. Lots of it

Anyone ever had this before?

(11-01-2017 10:46 AM)JayDrft Wrote:  Sounds terrible,

The only opinion I can supply is that your firewall may have a rust patch which is allowing fluid into your car.

Common problem is the front section where the wiper motor is located...a stack of leaves or debris could accumulate and soak water, causing a catch point for water, within a period you have a nice hole which allows a flood of water in, along your footwell....it may explain why your seats werent wet.

Stick your head and hand in along the foot well and underside of the dash, you may see the hole or feel it.

No quick fix, but a diagnosis would be the first step.

Hope it helps...

JayDrft would be drifting in the correct direction if the water was pooled in the front seat footwell.

OP, have you checked the boot?
11-01-2017, 11:09 AM
Check that your sunroof drains are clear/unblocked (Google is your friend).

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

E34 540iA - Gletscherblau.

[Image: 7236253502_871632509e.jpg]
11-01-2017, 01:13 PM
(11-01-2017 11:09 AM)Budleigh Wrote:  Check that your sunroof drains are clear/unblocked (Google is your friend).

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

+1

I had the same issue in my 3 series. I never did it on a 5 series but without Googling I'm sure it's a similar procedure. If you have a compressor blow some air through it and it'll be back to normal.
11-01-2017, 02:49 PM
Thanks gents, I am going to try that out and bring some feedback
11-01-2017, 04:09 PM
RollsmileBiglol sorry dude. had to laugh it happened TWICE with my first e90

all my windows and sunroof just opened for absolutely no reason, and it rained the same time, I dont have kids so I could not blame them.

Z4 M Coupe, once U go Coupe you cant go back. Bluebiggrin
2012 125i Coupe
07 A4 Tdi - 125kw+++ added some extra Ponies via software + decat, EGR & DPF delete.
11-01-2017, 06:33 PM
You need to check the seal between the door and the window, as that is where water is entering the inside of the door. Additionally, there is a vapour barrier inside the door that is supposed to prevent water from entering the interior of the car, it has probably come loose, and is allowing water to drain into your interior.

I have spent the last two days trying to resolve my own swimming pool issue in my car. Mine was wet on both sides of the car but worse on the passenger side. Silicone is your friend for this fix.

[Image: whatsapp image 2017-01-10 at 21.46.15_6709007984.jpeg]

[Image: whatsapp image 2017-01-10 at 21.46.15 (4...98848.jpeg]

[Image: whatsapp image 2017-01-10 at 21.46.15 (3...21184.jpeg]
12-01-2017, 10:52 AM
So update, Because it looked like rain again yesterday didn't want to chance it so i went to see a buddy of mine he is a Beema guru. He opens the boot... no water, opens the other thing that covers the spare wheel and there is a mini pond in there. According to him one of the drain pipes was blocked or broken and that's why all the water is collecting there.

Still doesn't explain the water in the passenger side though. He then starts playing with the sun roof. Opens it all the way and pours water into the rails and nothing comes out. No water under the car or anywhere. As it turns out somewere somehow one of the drain tubes on the right side of the car is not connected properly behind the sunroof and all the water is seeping into the sunroof space between the roof and the roof lining then drains to the back of the car through rear door pillars and settles between the seat and fuel tank. If there is too much water then it ends up in the footwell.

Didn't believe then he used a water dye to turn the water red and poured it again.... He was right.

So now I need to replace the drain pipes and seems like the whole roof lining has to come out so they can work on the underside of the sunroof. Cry

Where do I buy a new roof lining?
12-01-2017, 04:30 PM
Thumbdown ohh dammit thats not good news at all, good luck

Z4 M Coupe, once U go Coupe you cant go back. Bluebiggrin
2012 125i Coupe
07 A4 Tdi - 125kw+++ added some extra Ponies via software + decat, EGR & DPF delete.
13-01-2017, 10:19 AM (This post was last modified: 13-01-2017 10:20 AM by DoctorJ.)
Remove the door card and check if the rain curtain is intact.

(Joekool suggested the same in his post)

It is possible that somewhere along the line someone did work on a window mechanism or something of the sorts, and either damaged the rain curtain, or didn't re install it properly. This will result in water building up in the footwell when the car was parked for a extended period of time.

My dad had this on his e90 a few years ago. Happened after a dealership attended to a faulty window mechanism on his car.

Edit: My bad, i didn't read your update post to the end. Sorry

User(s) browsing this thread:
2 Guest(s)

Return to TopReturn to Content