Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
X3 F25 Electronic Towbar Retrofit Cable
28-12-2016, 04:27 PM
Search X3 F25 Electronic Towbar Retrofit Cable
Hi Guys,
Anybody know where I can find the following;
61122287811 - Retrofit cable kit, tow bar or Retrofit Cable Set, Trailer Coupling - it is actually part of the retrofit kit that is astronomically expensive and I have all the other goods required , just need this "harnass" "cable set".
It is to communicate between the car, control unit, activation/deactivationbutton and the tow hook.Praise
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
29-12-2016, 10:12 AM (This post was last modified: 29-12-2016 10:12 AM by Solo Man.)
RE: X3 F25 Electronic Towbar Retrofit Cable
Not sure about the F25 kit but when i fitted my "home made" tow bar to my 2005 E83 X3 i could get the wiring kit from Hi-Q for about R1.5k. Fortunately i had picked up the wiring with the goose neck, etc., from Gert of OBDWorx about 16 months ago for free and it had been lying here in my garage all the time. After some googling which did not help me at all, i figured out the wiring with a lot of help from above (not joking - woke up in the middle of the night with a voice telling me that i did not earth the control box when i tested it the previous day and that is why i could not get the lights to work). Earthed the box and bingo, could sort out the wiring and now i have a working towbar. Actually much stronger than the aftermarket one on my son's X3 which i used as template. Try Hi-Q or Supa Quick. Sorry, see now that yours is electronic which i assume is the one that swings out from the side. If you could get it to lock i imagine the standard wiring kit obtainable from Hi-Q will work, but won't swing back. Hope this helps.
03-01-2017, 03:28 PM
Hi,

Not too long ago, i retrofitted the full electric towbar to my F10.
I ripped out the full F10 M5 loom with towbar already wired in and could not separate the towbar cable from the main loom.

Finally, i started exploring 3rd party Looms.
What i did find out in the process, was that BMW do not manufacture the towbar or looms themselves. They use Westfalia/ Brink in Germany.

Google it.
Anyway, I emailed Westfalia in Germany and after a few days a sales rep emailed me to say they do not supply the retrofit kit direct to the public and I should contact my vehicle manufacturer.

In the end, I managed to find a Fellow Fanatic who worked at Rosslyn to buy the loom for me, with a huge discount and I contacted a dealership to fit and code everything for me.

If you are keen, send me a PM and I will try to help out.
08-01-2017, 06:30 PM (This post was last modified: 08-01-2017 06:31 PM by riaanvw.)
(29-12-2016 10:12 AM)Solo Man Wrote:  Not sure about the F25 kit but when i fitted my "home made" tow bar to my 2005 E83 X3 i could get the wiring kit from Hi-Q for about R1.5k. Fortunately i had picked up the wiring with the goose neck, etc., from Gert of OBDWorx about 16 months ago for free and it had been lying here in my garage all the time. After some googling which did not help me at all, i figured out the wiring with a lot of help from above (not joking - woke up in the middle of the night with a voice telling me that i did not earth the control box when i tested it the previous day and that is why i could not get the lights to work). Earthed the box and bingo, could sort out the wiring and now i have a working towbar. Actually much stronger than the aftermarket one on my son's X3 which i used as template. Try Hi-Q or Supa Quick. Sorry, see now that yours is electronic which i assume is the one that swings out from the side. If you could get it to lock i imagine the standard wiring kit obtainable from Hi-Q will work, but won't swing back. Hope this helps.

(29-12-2016 10:12 AM)Solo Man Wrote:  Not sure about the F25 kit but when i fitted my "home made" tow bar to my 2005 E83 X3 i could get the wiring kit from Hi-Q for about R1.5k. Fortunately i had picked up the wiring with the goose neck, etc., from Gert of OBDWorx about 16 months ago for free and it had been lying here in my garage all the time. After some googling which did not help me at all, i figured out the wiring with a lot of help from above (not joking - woke up in the middle of the night with a voice telling me that i did not earth the control box when i tested it the previous day and that is why i could not get the lights to work). Earthed the box and bingo, could sort out the wiring and now i have a working towbar. Actually much stronger than the aftermarket one on my son's X3 which i used as template. Try Hi-Q or Supa Quick. Sorry, see now that yours is electronic which i assume is the one that swings out from the side. If you could get it to lock i imagine the standard wiring kit obtainable from Hi-Q will work, but won't swing back. Hope this helps.

Thx for that, the only problem that I have is that this X3 is still brand new late 2016 model and obviously cannot void motorplan by modding.
08-01-2017, 07:34 PM
(08-01-2017 06:30 PM)riaanvw Wrote:  

Thx for that, the only problem that I have is that this X3 is still brand new late 2016 model and obviously cannot void motorplan by modding.
Fear of voiding motorplan is the reason i still do not have a towbar...could have got it for arouns R7k from the guys who supply bmw but then i give bm a reason to void mp....and they can be full of nonsense.

2015 BMW x3 2.0d Sport
2012 Toyota 86
1981 Toyota Liftback 1.6 SE
10-01-2017, 05:50 AM (This post was last modified: 10-01-2017 05:51 AM by riaanvw.)
(08-01-2017 07:34 PM)KevM Wrote:  
(08-01-2017 06:30 PM)riaanvw Wrote:  

Fear of voiding motorplan is the reason i still do not have a towbar...could have got it for arouns R7k from the guys who supply bmw but then i give bm a reason to void mp....and they can be full of nonsense.

Sooo I bought a oem harnass online from a german company, lets see how that goes cost R2,6k

User(s) browsing this thread:
2 Guest(s)

Return to TopReturn to Content