Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are the signs of a turbo going on a e46 330d?
25-05-2012, 12:33 PM
What are the signs of a turbo going on a e46 330d?
Hi Guys,

As the thread states, I am looking for tell tale signs of a malfunctioning turbo on my 330d, I just want piece of mind.

I contacted Turbo king and was told if its whisteling its on its way out, now what confuses me is that on every diesel turbo I always hear the turbo whistle and mine is extra loud since I did the decat + downpipe, I can hear the turbo spooling up and down and I can hear the turbo flutter when I lightly take my foot off the throttle when its at around 2100rpm, sounds like a dumping sound but instead of a whooosh its a wierd fluttering sound, I have heard the same type of sound on a GTR at the track when it dumps, not as cool lol but much quiter version but similar in sound.

Also if I put my foot down as the car gets past 2100rpm the fluttering sound echoes off the walls of houses that I am driving by, this has only started happening since I did the downpipe and decat, I quite like the sound I wont lie, I just want to know that its not the sound of a malfunctioning turbo.

Turbo king has quoted me R5500 to overhaul my turbo, is that a good price and what do you guys think about these guys?

Any feedback from the knowledgeable turbo guys will be much appreciated.

Current:
2008 Yamaha R6
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
25-05-2012, 01:12 PM
RE: What are the signs of a turbo going on a e46 330d?
A new Turbo is about double that price and if you go to BMW its even more....
So you decide if its a good price or not!

=)
Quote this message in a reply
25-05-2012, 04:23 PM
I would rather buy a brand new turbo than recon, well if it is peace of mind you are looking for... I trust nobody to rebuild these turbos, since most of the guys are complete knobs.

On the thread title - there is not always a tell-tale sign it is going, many of the 135kw/142kw models the turbos fail due to fatige where an impeller blade actually breaks free, there is absolutely no way to know if/when that will happen. My 530d is over 290kkm, and I'm planning to replace its turbo soon (still original), just for peace of mind.
Find all posts by this user
25-05-2012, 04:50 PM (This post was last modified: 25-05-2012 04:59 PM by osiris.)
So the whisteling and fluttering and spooling up and down sounds are normal then?

Basically I am looking for any obvious signs that the turbo might be on its way out, 2004 330d = 150kw motor, and ive checked on a dyno about 5 times, its definately not a 135kw motor.

According to allot of info on the web the turbo is supposed to last the life of the car as long as you follow good service protocol...I.e. Good oil recomended by your cars service manual, clean air filter, correct oil pressures etc etc

I have a warrenty covering the turbo for around 9k so if a new one is 11k then I really don't mind paying that outstading amount for a nice shiny brand new turbo.

Current:
2008 Yamaha R6
25-05-2012, 05:35 PM
(25-05-2012 04:50 PM)osiris Wrote:  I have a warrenty covering the turbo for around 9k so if a new one is 11k then I really don't mind paying that outstading amount for a nice shiny brand new turbo.

AFAIK, most warranties won't cover a replacement part unless it's completely gone. Hence, if the turbo is still working, how are you going to justify that it needs replacement?

[Image: Fogs-small_zpsbc4e681f.png]
25-05-2012, 06:11 PM
Break it...
25-05-2012, 06:23 PM
If you remove the cats, it is substantially more audible than normal, but I cannot even attempt to determine if it is normal or not by a text description. My guess is that it is normal on account of downpipe. I know many 150kw 330ds that needed a new turbo by 110kkm, but not how the failure occurred. Turbo life is VERY dependent on driving style and maintenance, so basically anything goes. I'm sure you could kill one in 45kkm if you wanted to.
25-05-2012, 11:40 PM
I am going to go past bmw tomorrow morning and get a full history of this car to see if the turbo has ever been replaced or repaired, and for the warrenty solution, thats not a problem, mechanic will take care of that small problem. Fencelook

I did the EGR delete mod tonight, cleaned that EGR out very very well it looks new, not sure how much of a good mod that is, I would like to put the car on a dyno again to see if that made a difference as some people claim that it ups performance slightly and gives better fuel ecconomy and reduces the amount of smoke that pumps out the back when you put your foot down.

I am so parranoid that this cars turbo pops while im on a long drive somewhere, I will be so pissed if I could have avoided it by sorting any potential problems out now.

Current:
2008 Yamaha R6
26-05-2012, 07:43 AM
My advice. If you think something it neans something is wrong. Contact Garett SA and get a price on a new one. R5000 is a waist if a new one is gonna cost you 8-9k direct from Garett.

If it goes wrong c below

http://www.bmwfanatics.co.za/showthread....468&page=7

Welcome Shrek

[Image: 194824.png]

[Image: 112539.png]

RIP Gopher. You will be a friend Missed.
Tbag May YOU BURN IN HELL.
26-05-2012, 08:00 AM
i had no warnings that my turbo was going to fail on my golf.
i pulled off changed to second,and the biggest cloud of smoke appeared.

that was it blown.

after speaking to spy007 i would rather buy a new turbo,as its a liitle more expensive than a recon one.

send him a pm and read his thread,it is good advice

26-05-2012, 09:39 AM
2 things to consider and what I have learned now with my car.

1. IF the turbo goes changing in low gears, normally just pop in a new one, flush and that's it.

2. If you are on the high-way like i was at 120 and it goes it so much more gets broken

Semi seize
Colappsed ring
if you are unlucky

if you are me fks up the injectors and rings.

So spend 3-5 k more on a new turbo and you have a factory 1 year guarantee and a lot more piece of mind.

Re-con or rebuild only carries 6 months and this is why I am getting fucked over. Invoice said new but was re conditioned and all this happened 2 months past 6 months.

Also Cool down period service regularly and look after it and you should have no hassle.

Welcome Shrek

[Image: 194824.png]

[Image: 112539.png]

RIP Gopher. You will be a friend Missed.
Tbag May YOU BURN IN HELL.

User(s) browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)

Return to TopReturn to Content