Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
E46 318i - common problems
03-06-2010, 04:23 PM
RE: E46 318i - common problems
hi people

I got a 318i e46 facelift..

I can just feel that there are problems

the car is very bumpy i think its the control arm bushes cause i can move the whole wheel with my foot and the wheel has lots of play in it.

the car is running very rich its doing like 17.7l per 100km and i drive very light on it.

the window wont wind up anymore.

the water in the cooling system is always boiling and the radiator only comes on when i put the aircon on.

the power has also dropped big time.

I need advice on where to take the car. Im a student and have lomited cash so I need like serious help on fixing it up
Quote this message in a reply
04-06-2010, 08:16 AM
If the water is boiling everytime... STOP driving it.

Bushes and k@k fuel consumption is one thing but continuos boiling and drop in power is another animal !
Could be lucky and its as simple as bleeding the cooling system ( but i doubt it ) sounds to me as if you have done some damage bud.

If you in Joburg, contact Gizmo and get the car to him ASAP Thumb
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
05-06-2010, 06:49 PM
(31-01-2010 05:42 PM)Bullzeye.za Wrote:  
(30-12-2009 12:48 PM)Christiaan-SA Wrote:  Hello Guys
"Car hesitates under acceleration, in all gears, up to 2000 rpm, beyond which it is as smooth. Cold start is also horrendous."

I am new to the Forum to ask some advice on the following. I have a 2005 E46 318i Individual with 102k km on the clock.

Cold start is very bad, as if it is only firing on 2 of the 4 cylinders almost. After the 3rd or so try normally get it started, once I can get rev's to 2000rmp it idles fine. Car is on 102k km and problem has become much worse, when it was in 95k range had in in twice, no errors found and valves set - somewhat better for a week or so, then issue again as be4. I'm about to go on an expensive sensor replacement spree as technicians can't seem to pinpoint.

Further info
The car hesitates under acceleration, in all gears, up to 2000 rpm, beyond which it is as smooth as it should be right up to the red line. Between 1000-2000 rpm the car bogs and kicks when put under heavy load. If you ask for light acceleration then it is not so bad but when you ask for some grunt it just stews.

The worst it possibly behaves is when in slow moving city traffic when you would expect the engine to be at its warmest.

Anyone ever experience anything like this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Kind Regards, Christiaan

This is going to sound silly, but.. Try Caltex fuel for a few tanks, it cleared up my old man's 740i which had only 5/8 cylinders firing on a cold start.

That techron stuff might just be legit Bluebiggrin

so any idea wat this is about? mines is doing this now every morning and night!!!
08-06-2010, 07:21 PM
(05-06-2010 06:49 PM)BM24 Wrote:  
(31-01-2010 05:42 PM)Bullzeye.za Wrote:  
"Car hesitates under acceleration, in all gears, up to 2000 rpm, beyond which it is as smooth. Cold start is also horrendous."

I am new to the Forum to ask some advice on the following. I have a 2005 E46 318i Individual with 102k km on the clock.

Cold start is very bad, as if it is only firing on 2 of the 4 cylinders almost. After the 3rd or so try normally get it started, once I can get rev's to 2000rmp it idles fine. Car is on 102k km and problem has become much worse, when it was in 95k range had in in twice, no errors found and valves set - somewhat better for a week or so, then issue again as be4. I'm about to go on an expensive sensor replacement spree as technicians can't seem to pinpoint.

Further info
The car hesitates under acceleration, in all gears, up to 2000 rpm, beyond which it is as smooth as it should be right up to the red line. Between 1000-2000 rpm the car bogs and kicks when put under heavy load. If you ask for light acceleration then it is not so bad but when you ask for some grunt it just stews.

The worst it possibly behaves is when in slow moving city traffic when you would expect the engine to be at its warmest.

Anyone ever experience anything like this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Kind Regards, Christiaan

This is going to sound silly, but.. Try Caltex fuel for a few tanks, it cleared up my old man's 740i which had only 5/8 cylinders firing on a cold start.

That techron stuff might just be legit Bluebiggrin

so any idea wat this is about? mines is doing this now every morning and night!!!

BMW technical team had a look at my car.... TWICE . and couldnt find the resolution to the problem. Few guys also called in to 702 a few weeks ago with the same problem (no power under 2000rpm) , but again NO RESOLUTION. Going to maybe try and replace the fuel pump like someone suggested . Will provide update as soon as this is done.
15-06-2010, 03:13 PM
(14-01-2010 09:32 AM)andrewbuch Wrote:  

Further info

Kind Regards, Christiaan

I am experiencing a similar problem with a 2000 E46 318i 134000km.. Having the E36 sorted out next week then going to get them to check the e46 after that..

FWIW
My E46 showed similar behaviour, but not as bad as described here. The dealers replaced or fixed the accelerator cable and recalibrated it and it was sorted.
17-06-2010, 12:19 PM
my problem was solved when they re-installed software.

according to my knowledge, e46 dont have accelerator cable, it works electronically.
17-06-2010, 12:23 PM
(17-06-2010 12:19 PM)elmo benjamin Wrote:  my problem was solved when they re-installed software.

according to my knowledge, e46 dont have accelerator cable, it works electronically.

Only that Face lift had electronic as far as I know. Mine has a cable..

Check out My Car : 2000 E46 318i
[Image: Signature.jpg]

[Image: 94372.png]

Check out my videos on :
YouTube

[Image: 103549.png][Image: 94393.png][Image: 95480.png][Image: 95481.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-08-2010, 08:55 AM
hello, guys
i am new on this forum and I would like to identify a number of ventilation valve,or 'crank vent valve' ,because I have a 318i FL and have some problems with he

Thanks in advance
25-08-2010, 08:57 AM
Hi Aryn, I see you are from romania? Wavey

Have you looked at http://www.realoem.com you should find all the part numbers you can dream of there Bluebiggrin

[Image: 291587.png]
nihil manet, nisi mutatio
30-08-2010, 01:49 PM
(30-12-2009 09:55 AM)Ricky318i Wrote:  
(30-12-2009 08:26 AM)CARBON ATTACK Wrote:  hey guys, i have a 2005 318i, and my aircon has a mind of its own. it comes on weneva it feels like. some days it workz and some days it dosnt come on at all. does this happen to anybody else?

Hi

Are you talking about the aircon function or the fan not blowing air into the cabin?
(30-12-2009 08:09 AM)freerider Wrote:  Nope, I havent had any tests done, from reading up at e46fanatics I see that there are quite a lot of guys that complain about oil usage by the m54, and many that say theirs doesnt use a drop like you.

But as I say, since changing to LiquiMoly, my oil consumption is right down. I'm also changing my valve cover gasket this weekend which is currently leaking, I'm not sure how much oil is lost there though.

I spoke to someone in the know and also did some reading: Oil consumption (like fuel consumption) is directly related to and influenced by your driving style. So this may vary from person to person. Since my wife is mostly with me when we drive, i consequently drive like an old woman. Thus lower my oil consumption.

Hi

Did anyone get to the bottom of the air con query above? My AC stopped working a couple of weeks ago, then fixed itself for a few days later, but has now stopped again.
With snowflake button off and the fan on full power, air comes out of the vents but very slowly. This, strangely enough, seems to be effected by engine speed.When I switch the snowflake button on, i can hear what sounds like the ac compressor charging up, but air stops coming out of the vents. Then when i switch the snowflake off again, even after just a few minutes, cold air starts coming out of the vents. Once again this cold air comes out slowly, and seems to warm up as time passes until I go through the process once again.

Any help would be appreciated - Thanks!

30-08-2010, 08:54 PM
The aircon in the E46 318i seems to be a strange one. Mine's fan speed varies by itself as if has a mind of its own and no its not on the auto mode. Been doing this since the car was bought new and BMW have replaced the aircon under motorplan couple of years back but still exactly the same sinceThinking
30-08-2010, 09:10 PM
Mine gets colder the faster I drive Bluebiggrin

Current:
2013 AW F30 320d Msport
2010 SG E90 320d Msport

[Image: Yulzsig_zps8d9f52d6.jpg]
18-11-2010, 10:01 PM

Further info

Kind Regards, Christiaan

I have exactly the same problem as yours in my 318i m43 1999. did u get any help?
19-11-2010, 11:31 AM
Aircon Fan thats intermittint is the Final stage resistor. Mine did the same and I orderd them from the UK its much cheaper. Agents ask 1200+ I got it for 800 and sell it for R900.

[Image: small2_zpse3adb13c.jpg]

[Image: 217041.png]

E46 2003 325i Sold
E90 LCI 2009 325i Trade in
F30 2013 320d current
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-11-2010, 12:42 PM

Further info

Kind Regards, Christiaan

I have exactly the same problem just that I experience cold and warm start...2 out of 4 cylinders are starting. I hope that somebody will fix this problem and post it here on forum.
-------------------------------------------------
Edit: Has anybody tried to change the CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR?
21-11-2010, 04:53 PM
(17-06-2010 12:19 PM)elmo benjamin Wrote:  my problem was solved when they re-installed software.

well mine still has the cable

Bmw 318i E46 EXEC 2001
22-11-2010, 07:55 AM
The newer e46's came out with drive by wire, not sure about which ones exactly but the one are do know off are the M54 325 and 330 engines.

\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\

/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\

\

\

\\

\\

\

20-07-2011, 12:55 PM
It's like every 318 has the same unexplainable un fixable unbelievably $hite problems.. I have a 2003 nb42b20....

Cold start rough as hell, aircon ghosts, recently replaced control arm bushings, front wheel bearing hum, clutch thudder, and rough acceleration until 2000 rpm.

I suspect camshaft sensor, fuel filter/pump, or vacuum leak... any help with this yet http://www.bmwfanatics.co.za/images/smil...ngdesk.gif

Jade - 4 Banger
318i N42 2003 - Current
Passat 1.8t 2001 - Wrote Off
Audi 1.8 2001 - Sold
VW Jetta 1.6 2002 - Sold
BMW 316i 1996 - Sold
20-07-2011, 08:59 PM
Got a problem with friends 318 auto it gives me can engine torque signal