Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
E34 cabin filter replacement
22-12-2009, 03:32 PM
E34 cabin filter replacement
Hi All,

After spending a good few hours, I have finally gotten to the location where the cabin filter of the E34 is, but you have to strip out the covers for the drivers side, strip off some carpet, remove the heater core (sword), some more plastic bits, but I have done so.

HOWEVER, now that I am there, I cannot for the life of me find the filter, I can find a radiator like filter, but it looks like its modled into the black plastic housing and cannot be removed

I am either being really stupid here, or somebody just did not bother replacing the filter, I can see there has been mutalation jobs done to some of the plastic screw housings of people not using the right tools, so somebody has been in there for sure, but the filters are just supposed to slide out, so why cant I find them.

Has anyone done a microfilter on a E34 540 before, manuf date Jan 95 ?

I will be on the other side if anybody needs me Bluebiggrin
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
22-12-2009, 03:52 PM
RE: E34 cabin filter replacement
You have to much free time... Bluebiggrin

I've cleaned mine on the E36, On the E36 its in the center close to the firewall, it slide out from the drivers side, but u need to remove the panels below the steering wheel.
Quote this message in a reply
22-12-2009, 04:03 PM (This post was last modified: 22-12-2009 04:05 PM by BimmerMan.)
(22-12-2009 03:32 PM)zaleonardz Wrote:  Hi All,

After spending a good few hours, I have finally gotten to the location where the cabin filter of the E34 is, but you have to strip out the covers for the drivers side, strip off some carpet, remove the heater core (sword), some more plastic bits, but I have done so.

HOWEVER, now that I am there, I cannot for the life of me find the filter, I can find a radiator like filter, but it looks like its modled into the black plastic housing and cannot be removed

I am either being really stupid here, or somebody just did not bother replacing the filter, I can see there has been mutalation jobs done to some of the plastic screw housings of people not using the right tools, so somebody has been in there for sure, but the filters are just supposed to slide out, so why cant I find them.

Has anyone done a microfilter on a E34 540 before, manuf date Jan 95 ?

A good few hours Icon_jaw

http://www.bmw4life.com/microFilter.htm

EDIT: Here is a better link...this is for the E32, but it is pretty much the same...and shows how the filter splits
http://www.meeknet.co.uk/E32/Microfilter/Index.htm

For the cars that are right hand drive, you need to split the filter in two. Its difficult to describe, but the filter slides apart at the centre to allow it to clear the brake pedal...

1987 E30 320I, 1995 E34 525I, 1998 E38 740I
[Image: SDC10759.jpg]
22-12-2009, 04:15 PM
Ta guys,

Bimmer, I actually used the second howto to get going, issue is I cannot find any sliding filters in there, makes me believe that the idiot that owned the car before me or before him took it out, didnt replace them cause they were too expensive or something daft, and then just put the assembly back.

Will have to go look at an example in a scrap yard, I have really tried but nothing wants to come forward, and there is nothing to slide out.

Yesterday I fixed my drivers mirror by plugging it in, this car was really butchered before I owned it.

Nobody have an old set of filters so that I can try and fit it, and use those as samples, I dont mind ordering from BMW as well, but an old set will make sure that I get the right stuff.

24-12-2009, 10:30 AM
I am not sure the E34 in South Africa ever had the filter, mine doesn't and when I tried to fit one, the casing is too shallow for it.

I know the E32 has them fitted from about 92, but they may only have been used on very late production E34's
24-12-2009, 02:16 PM
See thats the part that confuzzles me. I read that too that not all E34's take the filter, thats why I was looking for an old one to test fit before I cough up dealership fee's which was like almost 600 bucks.

I went scrap yard hunting today, and found some old E34 525's and they both had the micro filter, I could feel it through the hole and the manuf date on mine is 01/1995 which was pretty much the last year of production, they stopped Jan 96 according to realoem.

I phoned BMW, and they told me ALL E34's took the cabin filter, and gave me a part number 64318350016.

And wouldnt you know it, my parts guy has the original OEM filter with that part number for 100 bucks, so I bought it. I will try and fit it a bit later, I am on daughter duty now :0

Thanks Rick

24-12-2009, 04:48 PM
One of the worst jobs I have ever done, cause there is no space, no light, and such a tight fit, but its in.

24-12-2009, 06:44 PM
I replaced the cabin filter on my E34 M5. It wasn't fun. I had to zip tie the clutch pedal out the way to gain access to the filter. Pull the "sword" out the way, and then slide the new filter into place.
Had to bend it to get it to fit into the slot. Horrible design.Hammerhead
24-12-2009, 07:24 PM
I did the contortionist upside down with head under the dash and legs on the seat thing, lucky I do not have a clutch pedal.

How can somebody design a car so well, yet cock up the fundementals, its a filter dangit, at least they got it right on the E46 onwards, oh well, its in.

Its easier changing all 8 plugs and do an oil change then what it is to install a cabin filter, but i guess the more practice you get at it, the better you become

25-12-2009, 09:29 AM
I swear it's actually easier to remove and refit the drivers seat whilst doing it.

25-12-2009, 09:02 PM
Hmmm,

I did not think of that, it might not have been a bad idea, I could have done the cables for the electric seats, even though the drivers are not a problem yet, did the passangers already.

Next time I replace it, I may actually do just that,

Thanks Rick.

26-07-2010, 03:22 PM
i have done a e34 pollen filter, it takes a while and one must be careful not to damage the pins that plug on the left hand side of the sword or your fan will not work, after you remove the sword,you should be able to see it, you then slide it out,it has two sections which slide on each other,if you have never replaced it,it should be black in colour by now,it is right inside the center cabin,it feel like a air filter. once removed, get a vacuum and vacuum the inside,till all the dust is gone,replace filter and turn on aircon,it should b ice cold in a few minutes,them you have done it rite.
26-07-2010, 05:45 PM
E32/34 pollen filter is the WORST JOB IN THE WORLD!

The were not thinking that one out for sure.
26-07-2010, 06:21 PM
I have a a '95 540i and had the filters replaced twice over about 3 years by pro's. Again, the aircon slowly stops working decently over time so I finally decided to do the job myself since the filters seemed to clog so often......... and it was a bitch of a job. After removing the paneling beneath the steering wheel, the carpet cover over the sword and filters I unscrewed the sword (it had been left half-unscrewed by the last "professionals") removed the cables to it, removed it then found the screws for the filters and removed them. After much wriggling and cussing I removed the filters (there are two seperate ones) by reaching behind, up against the engine firewall and slid the filters out towards the brake-pedal. (mines an Auto). I left them out this time and the aircon works fine. I suppose that there is some merit in keeping them in but, being the major issue that it is, hell, I can live with a little polution. I still have the old ones Leonard.
Both filters are as black as coal and I can't help feeling that I was "done" last time. they probably just blasted them clean with a compressor and charged me for new items.
26-07-2010, 09:49 PM
No probs,

I actually did this job. I am however so well adjusted of laying upside down in the drivers seat since the manual conversion and all the other bits, that it is no problem anymore.

Besides, taking out the seat is really easy, and I will do that next time.

You are probably correct that the "pro's just cleaned out the old filter/washed it" charged you R500 for the filter and 500 for the labour.

You must actually see how my car is butchered on the sword cover due to "professionals" that do not have the right tools, as I said earlier, mine they just took the filter out and called it a day... fscking idiots

26-07-2010, 10:37 PM
Don't run it without a filter because that black stuff will then just clog the aircon evaporator which then retains moisture corrodes and breaks.
26-07-2010, 10:38 PM
Yep...

And if you look, you can find the filters at decent prices, I think I paid R100 for my filter, original OEM from my spares guy, so its cheap as well...

User(s) browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)

Return to TopReturn to Content