Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aligning DME and EWS
16-03-2011, 02:17 PM
Aligning DME and EWS
Hi all,

Can anybody please tell me what does it normally cost to align the DME and EWS on bmw e36

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
18-03-2011, 12:50 PM
RE: Aligning DME and EWS
Can anybody please help me out on this, i just need to get the vehicle going.Bawling
18-03-2011, 01:38 PM
howsit man, takes me about 10 seconds with INPA, unfortunately I stay in East London ..

you can take it to bmw, will take them less than 10 minutes to do it, but they will probably charge you 1 hour labour... R450+- around there...

Bluebiggrin where in jhb are you ?

[Image: avatar8.png]
18-03-2011, 02:20 PM
well I guess he can not take the car to BMW by itself it it needs alignment..Wink

I can help if the alignment is the only problem, just depends where in Jhb you are?

Read here all about BMW poor service and please join the page and share your experience, good and bad...

BMW Poor Service on Facebook

2003 E66 760Li
2002 E39M5, sold
19-03-2011, 09:01 AM
I stay in Centurion, and yes i think that it's just the alignment, everything seems to be working ok.
Thanks guys
19-03-2011, 10:00 AM
(19-03-2011 09:01 AM)essop1@gp Wrote:  I stay in Centurion, and yes i think that it's just the alignment, everything seems to be working ok.
Thanks guys

may I ask why you think it is only the alignment that is not in sync?

I have just realized, does your car take the 16 pin OBDII "rectangular" connector situated in the car or the round connector in the engine bay?

Read here all about BMW poor service and please join the page and share your experience, good and bad...

2003 E66 760Li
2002 E39M5, sold
19-03-2011, 10:08 AM
Thats the only thing i can think of, switch on the ignition and everything goes on, it doesn't crank at all, just clicks. The barrel was sent for repairs and it suffered the 'spinning barrel' condition, when it came back i put on the ring antenna connected it all up and nothing. What else the cause be?

I have the round connector in the engine bay.
19-03-2011, 10:14 AM
(19-03-2011 10:08 AM)essop1@gp Wrote:  Thats the only thing i can think of, switch on the ignition and everything goes on, it doesn't crank at all, just clicks. The barrel was sent for repairs and it suffered the 'spinning barrel' condition, when it came back i put on the ring antenna connected it all up and nothing. What else the cause be?

I have the round connector in the engine bay.

I cannot promise that my cable will work on your car as I have only used it on my E39 but if you want to give it a try and are available today private me your details and maybe we can arrange

2003 E66 760Li
2002 E39M5, sold
19-03-2011, 10:24 AM
Thanks, PM sent.
19-03-2011, 11:17 AM
I dont think that is the problem. Just taking out the barrel won't get them out of alignment, its your switch that is buggered...

19-03-2011, 11:21 AM (This post was last modified: 19-03-2011 11:40 AM by StK.)
Sounds like a flat battery to me-try charging it up or bump starting your car.......If it was EWS it would not click at all.....
the clicking sound is most likely your fuel pump relay
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-03-2011, 10:24 PM (This post was last modified: 20-03-2011 10:29 PM by essop1@gp.)
(19-03-2011 11:17 AM)P1000 Wrote:  I dont think that is the problem. Just taking out the barrel won't get them out of alignment, its your switch that is buggered...

Is there a way to test that, i've taken out the switch from the barrel and used a screw driver to turn on the ignition and try to start it and that didnt do anything either.
(19-03-2011 11:21 AM)StK Wrote:  Sounds like a flat battery to me-try charging it up or bump starting your car.......If it was EWS it would not click at all.....
the clicking sound is most likely your fuel pump relay

Fully charged battery was tested as well, still the same problem.
Thanks to Mamba for coming all the way out to pta and trying to assist, even though we didnt manage to get it started, i am very grateful for the help.

We did however get some error codes, relating to the key, which was cleared, and one particular message saying " EWS_rejected_ECU", still searching as to what exactly that message related to. If anyone has seen this before please enlighten me Thumb
20-03-2011, 10:47 PM
no problem, sorry we could not manage

I found a website with diagrams, have a look:

http://wedophones.com/BMWManualsLead.htm

2003 E66 760Li
2002 E39M5, sold
06-10-2011, 05:59 PM
What was the outcome?
I took my e36 320i 95 model for ews synch as my dme was water damaged and got the same as mine but we got a "dme does not respond", does it mean this dme is faulty or what?
I took my car to Jacques in Brooklyn but He wasn't there and when I called today I was told He's busy with car but no one called to inform me about the feedback, I'm stressed the car is been standing since April.

E36 320I The Ultimate Driving Machine
FOR THE LOVE OF THE BIMMER Joy
06-10-2011, 07:31 PM
Shoo,

WHy have I not seen this thread before,

Anybody still need help on the subject ?

Keep in mind that you simply cannot just code a used EWS to match an DME, its not that simple.

However, I do have other tricks with EWS simulators....

If you folks are still battling, I will/should be able to sort out both cars.

I will be on the other side if anybody needs me Bluebiggrin
06-10-2011, 07:58 PM
@Zaleonardz - I'll hear what they say about the car over the weekend, I personally thought that it's just removing the damaged DME and replace with a good working one and the inpa, gt1 or carsoft does the synch for 10 minutes or more as mention on the first post. If they fail will you be able to help? Please PM the quote or reply with it. Im in Hammanskraal but the car is currently in PTA, Brooklyn. Please I need help for this damn car to start. I know you're in JHB.

Ty

E36 320I The Ultimate Driving Machine
FOR THE LOVE OF THE BIMMER Joy
06-10-2011, 08:03 PM (This post was last modified: 06-10-2011 08:22 PM by zaleonardz.)
What version of EWS is it, do you know ?

bud...

Here is what your looking for.

[Image: IMG00251-20111004-1920.jpg]

Let me know what they say is wrong with the car still.

The trick is you cannot align the EWS and the DME if they do not have the same VIN number, finished.

So if you buy a scrapyard DME, you actually have to buy the EWS with it, or alternatively, hack the DME to get the ISN number, and plug it into a EWS emulator..

Its all very doable, if you do not come right though, let I would have to come out and give you a quote after diagnostics.

I always try and honour my quotes, so I will need to know what im quoting for.

Let me know

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to zaleonardz for this post:
BillyBob (03-13-2013)
11-10-2011, 06:54 AM
(06-10-2011 08:03 PM)zaleonardz@DentDoctor Wrote:  What version of EWS is it, do you know ?

bud...

Here is what your looking for.

[Image: IMG00251-20111004-1920.jpg]

Let me know what they say is wrong with the car still.

The trick is you cannot align the EWS and the DME if they do not have the same VIN number, finished.

So if you buy a scrapyard DME, you actually have to buy the EWS with it, or alternatively, hack the DME to get the ISN number, and plug it into a EWS emulator..

Its all very doable, if you do not come right though, let I would have to come out and give you a quote after diagnostics.

I always try and honour my quotes, so I will need to know what im quoting for.

Let me know

Hey bud,

you will not believe what the actual problem was, @#$%^@ mechanic worked on the motor and forgot to put the ground cable from the body to the motor back, so starter wasn't getting any power, rectified that and all was ok after that. But thanks guys, apologies for not stating that sooner, promise it won't happen again Rollsmile

The ///M is coming...watch this space
2013 VW polo 1.4 comfortline (current)
2003 Toyota Corolla 160gle (current)
1996 Bmw 325 tds (ex)
2004 Audi A4 1.8T 120Kw (ex)
2000 Toyota Corolla RXI 6-Spd (ex)
2000 Toyota Corolla 160i (ex)
1995 Toyota Corolla 160i (ex)
11-10-2011, 08:13 AM
Glad you got it sorted.. Bluebiggrin

2003 E66 760Li
2002 E39M5, sold
11-10-2011, 08:24 AM
ALso glad you got it sorted, and glad it was something silly, it usually is..

Well done bud Bluebiggrin

User(s) browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)

Return to TopReturn to Content